• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recoloring an object with too many points

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking to add color to a map but get an error message that it has too many points. For example, I'm trying to apply a gradient mesh. Or I've tried recoloring as a Quick Action. No avail. Any ideas on how to create coloring as shown in this preview?

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First reducing the number of anchor points would be an obvious step, wouldn't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kurtgold Yes, of course it would. But like most maps, mine requires a large number of points to convey the scape of the land. That's pretty obvious, yes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Of course, but as per the warning messages you'd have to reduce the number of anchor points in order to use the desired functionality. Often that is possible with Illustrator's Simplify command while retaining the overall shape/appearance.

That's what I would try first.

As the threshold for creating grandient meshes is max. 100 anchor points per object, you may also consider to create separate gradient meshes with simplified paths, put them behind the original paths that define the lake boundaries and use both to create clipping masks or opacity masks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines