• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reflecting shape or outlines over a Guideline?

Contributor ,
Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If, for an example, I created a symmetrical heart, centered over a vertical guideline, then delete the line and curve sections on the right side. After editing a little on the remaining portion, how do I reflect the left half so it flips over the guideline? I can reflect it, but it simply flips and I have to manually move it to the right side of the guidelines. Is there a qualifier key (shift, alt, command, etc) for this?

Thanks in advance, MJ

TOPICS
Draw and design , Feature request , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

MJ,

Instead of carefully creating two (presumably only almost) identical halves, then delete one, and edit  the other half without seeing the whole shape while you are at it, and then reflect a copy to see whether it is satisfactory, maybe having to go back (and forth), you can work with the whole shape in one go.

Illy (job description Adobe Illustrator, she is always very helpful) can help you do it in one go and see it while you are at it in a few ways.

Smart Guides being your friends, o

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the reflect tool ALT-click on the point whjere you want the axis to cross

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MJ,

Instead of carefully creating two (presumably only almost) identical halves, then delete one, and edit  the other half without seeing the whole shape while you are at it, and then reflect a copy to see whether it is satisfactory, maybe having to go back (and forth), you can work with the whole shape in one go.

Illy (job description Adobe Illustrator, she is always very helpful) can help you do it in one go and see it while you are at it in a few ways.

Smart Guides being your friends, one safe way is to:

1) Create a rectangle larger than one of the halves, thenCtrl/Cmd+C+F (hold Ctrl/Cmd and press C followed by F) to create a copy on top, then deselect and ShiftClickDrag by one of the far corners to snap so you have the two rectangles with one coinciding side;

2) Select both rectangles and Group them, then Effect>Distort&Transform>Transfor>Reflect with 1 copy, then lock both rectangles within the Group;

Now you have a frame to work within (you can set a copy aside to reuse for other mirroring tasks);

You can set the stroke to none to work undisturbed by them, relying on Smart Guides.

3) With the Pen Tool, ClickDrag (or just Click) on a suitable spot on the centre line, then drag the new path into the Group, and simply draw one half as an actual shape; as soon as you have the second Anchor Point you can (begin to see) the mirrored shape; you can use Ctrl/Cmd+Z to undo and then redo parts, and when finished you can switch to the Direct Selection Tool and adjust the actual shape and see the whole shape straight away;

4) Delete the rectangles when you are sure, then Shift+Ctrl/Cmd+G to Ungroup.

You can keep the heart (or whatever) as an effect or Object>Expand Appearance and join to have a full actual shape.

For multiple reflexion/rotation axes and plugins, you may have a look at solutions in this thread, including the links to external solutions below:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2284752

Or you can have a look at the MadPattern templates,
http://madpattern.com/

Or you can use the MirrorMe plugin from Astute Graphics,
http://www.astutegraphics.com/software/mirrorme/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just missing the part about opt-dragging the crosshair to the guide and using the copy button to replace the original half.

However, the link to Mirror Me is great. That tool does what I needed in a much more robust way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for sharing, MJ.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines