• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Relinking files now embeds them

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have started experiencing this issue recently -- I have EPS files linked in a document but when I try to relink one of them with a different EPS file, Illustrator embeds that EPS file into my document, instead of keeping it as a linked file. I haven't had any issues with this in the past (they're product dielines and the EPS files are barcodes), it seems to have started with a recent update perhaps. Any suggestions eagerly welcomed!

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

What are the options set to when you place a file into a new document? Is Link checked or unchecked?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also confirmed that when I try to relink an EPS file with a different file type, Illustrator also embeds the new file instead of preserving it as a link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the options set to when you place a file into a new document? Is Link checked or unchecked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was it! Thank you so much, this has been a major issue for the past few weeks. Never thought of checking in the Place dialog, it's frustrating that the Link preference isn't also surfaced in the Links panel or the Illustrator Preferences, since it apparently affects other actions than just placing a new file in a document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to hear that helped. Yes the option is sticky and easy to forget when set.

You may want to make a feature request here:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines