• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reordering artboards zooms me into that artboard—disorienting

Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experience the following disorienting app behaviour.

1. Zoom out & look at all artboards together.
  2. Open the artboards panel.
  3. In the artboards list in that panel, click and drag one artboard to reorder it to before or after another artboard.

Expected behavior:
Nothing asides from reordering the arboards.

Actual behavior:

I am now zoomed into that artboard. I then have to zoom back out and continue reordering artboards at my desired birds-eye-view distance.

I think this is disorienting and wastes a lot of time when trying to reorder a lot of artboards. Ai makes the assumption that I now want to work only on that artboard that I just reordered.

TIA,

Ryan

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm...can't reproduce it here in Illustrator 26.4.1 running under Windows 10. It's working the desired way you describe (drag, drop; zoom level unchanged). What version are you running? What input device? Have you tried closing/re-launching? Resetting preferences? Rebooting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John, thanks for your reply. Here are my specs and screen recording (also noticing a weird renaming bug [I've experienced something like this before where the last renamed artboard name doesn't stick]). I don't remember a time when this zoom bug didn't happen, and I'm only now mentioning it.

MBP 16-inch, 2021

MacOS Monterey; Version 12.4
Adobe Illustrator 26.3.1

Aug-26-2022 13-59-38.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are some more specific instructions to reproduce it. I think Illustrator is being unreasonable about what it calls a double-click?

1. Zoom out with all the artboards in view.
  2. In the artboard list, find which artboard is highlighted.
  3. Click-and-hold that artboard. Don't even need to reorder it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @John Mensinger @Met1, are you two able to reproduce with these steps? TIA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I think functionally it's the same as I commented before, except you are choosing the artboard itself first, then the same one in the artboard pallet. Choosing an artboard in the pallet, doing nothing for any amount of time then choosing it again in the pallet - bam, zoom in...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes. Awkward unexpected behavior, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you clicking on the artboard name then clicking on it again to move it? How about if you click and move immediately - this works for me.

But, I've noticed that if you click on the artboard name then wait (the time doesn't seem to matter) then click on it again, it zooms in to that artboard.

I did think that double clicking on the artboard name brought up the artboard options dialog - it doesn't. It zooms in. Is this a change in behaviour? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Gif I posted, you can see a circle around the cursor, which represents the one (1) mouse-down I did. That said, I'm doing this repeatedly, and it doesn't always happen. It seems more likely to happen when I am mouse-down for over a half-second or so. But Illustrator just has a bit of latency overall, so it's fairly common for me to hold the mouse down for that long (coupled with my pausing to think where to reorder the artboard).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines