Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Replace an image with another in Illustrator

Participant ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I would like to add an image to replace the one in this flyer but can't find a way to do that.  Image and actual file attached.  

{Renamed by MOD}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Sep 17, 2019 Sep 17, 2019
Thank you all. I was able to move to create a new layer and move that layer right on top of the existing image and it worked like a charm

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The attached file is a vector illustration. What do you want to replace with what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

want to replace it with an image I purchased.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please be precise what exactly you want to replace with what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for reaching out. As Monika mentioned, we would need a few more details to help you on this.  To replace a placed image simply click 'Relink' in the Layers panel or in Place dialog box while placing it. Please take a look at this GIF:

replace file.gif

You can also refer to this video tutorial for more details: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL4FpDkzEN4

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 17, 2019 Sep 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the youtube video but for some reason I don't see the 'Replace' highlighted for me to click on when I went to place.  I'm not sure why the Replace button is not lit. 

AI Image edit.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Replace button is only active when an image is selected in the artwork. You still have not explained what should be replaced by what (the files you mentioned above are the exact same files). This would be somehow important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What should the file of the image I sent be labeled at? On the youtube video, the file shows an AI saved file. What am I doing wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you perhaps give us some context about what you are doing? Because only then we can tell you what you are doing wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok. I'm trying to replace the existing image there which are buildings and high rises with a different image. Like houses.

Ai Image edit of buildings.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you want to replace the blue skyscrapers in the background?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you can't click on them to delete them, right? That happens because that image is inside a clipping mask. You first have to select it and Object > Clipping mask > Release. Then click on the houses in the background with the black arrow tool so they are selected. Then delete them. Then you can open a different Illustrator file, select the other houses you have, copy them to the clipboard. Then in the other file click on the blua sky background to select it and Edit > Paste in front in order to gt your other houses into the correct place in the stacking order. Then move it, scale it and whatever is necessary to arrange it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika,

Unfortunately, that does not work because you paste in front after you copy it.  It does not look like the original.  That method just does not work.  The early instruction on the youtube can work, I just need to know how to save the image so it can be replaced.  Similar to what I explained before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show why it doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all. I was able to move to create a new layer and move that layer right on top of the existing image and it worked like a charm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's actually the "Links" panel. Not the layers panel.

I use this all the time with Stock images. Set your layout up with stock that's not approved, then when it gets approved, relink to the newly licensed version. Saves a ton of time!

A jack-of-all-trades is a master of none, but often times better than a master of one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines