• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resetting Illustrator Preferences made easy!

Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now you can reset the Preferences to default from within the application. It is a helpful step to fix performance-related issues and corrupt settings.

Simply perform the following steps:

1. [Windows] Go to Edit > Preferences > General or [macOS] Go to Illustrator > Preferences > General
  2. Click Reset Preferences.

Note: Before you proceed, create a backup copy of your existing preferences file. Preferences will reset only when you restart Illustrator.

Preferences.png

Check out the Troubleshooting issues with Illustrator Preferences article more details.

Feedback and questions:   

Reply to this post to share your feedback on this feature, and any questions you have around using it. Our team of experts here will do their best to assist you.

Regards,

Om

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would strongly recommend making a backup copy of your preference file when it is pristine—when you've got all of your settings established and everything in Illustrator is working as you like it. Then no matter which method you use to reset preferences, replace the preference file that is created with a copy of your pristine version. Make sure you do this with the program closed. When you next reopen Illustrator not only should any preference problems be fixed but all of your favorite settings will be as you like them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2022 Sep 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

im having trouble backing up my adobe illustrator preferences to my hard disk. help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After working on a file for the last two days and saving to my computer constantly, I had reset my preferences and restarted illustrator and my file has disappeared. I can find older versions saved to my computer but not sure why any newer versions I had for the month of November are just not anywhere. I have the 2021 version. Any help would be great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Soyour file is not at the location you saved it?

Or you can't find it in the menu of recent files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file no longer shows up in recent files or in my computer files on my desktop. It's like they just disappeared.

Mandy Russell

(Personal info removed by moderator) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines