• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

saving a graphic: to CC Library for indesign? Or save as png? or Save as svg? what's best ?

Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello friends.

so i have a small graphic made in illustrator. I will be placing it in Indesign.

it's so easy to just add it to the library and place it from library in Indesign.  but are there any drawbacks with that?

when i place it from the library, it's not manipulable; is it placed as a certain type of graphic? Is it embedded in my file? is it better to export it as an svg or png?

thanks so much. i appreciate all the help here.

TOPICS
Import and export , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

when i place it from the library, it's not manipulable

A Placed graphic isn't editable in InDesign; that's normal.

Is it embedded in my file?

Does it appear in InDesign's Links panel? If not, it's embedded.

quoteis it better to export it as an svg or png?

No. InDesign supports placement of native .ai files, which is the best format in case you need to revisit for editing in Illustrator. Saving in other dedicated-purpose, "delivery" formats should only be done with a copy, so the editable .ai

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is always better to keep the Illustrator file as vector. When saved as an image it will loose its scalability and quality.

And depending how you place it from the CC library it is editable in Illustrator (place linked) or non editable (place copy).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when i place it from the library, it's not manipulable

A Placed graphic isn't editable in InDesign; that's normal.

Is it embedded in my file?

Does it appear in InDesign's Links panel? If not, it's embedded.

quoteis it better to export it as an svg or png?

No. InDesign supports placement of native .ai files, which is the best format in case you need to revisit for editing in Illustrator. Saving in other dedicated-purpose, "delivery" formats should only be done with a copy, so the editable .ai file is preserved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

TF & JM - i did not know about the linking and editability of file saved into CC libraries. Thank you. I just watched a video on how to edit/save a graphic in the CC library, and it changes the link everywhere.  THANK YOU SO MUCH for this! i wouldnt have known to even  look up this info had you not mentioned it being editable. What a treat and time saver!

seriously - when you answer these simple questions for us beginners, it saves us so much time and effort and frustration. again, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines