Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving Files on Windows Share (Hidden)

New Here ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I am having some big problemw when trying to save files on a windows based network drive. I am working on the following:

> Illustrator is CC 2017

> OS X Yosemite

> MAC Pro (Later 2013)

I am on a windows network with access to a network share/drive. I generally work on files from my MAC but on completion, I save these files onto the network drive. The saving process works fine, however when I browse the location, the files are gone or so it would seem.

I contacted our network admin and reported the issue. They are not great with MACs, but were able to confirm that the files I had saved were infact in the location I had saved them, but they had the 'Hidden' flag turned on. This is why I was unable to see them through my computer. Once they unchecked this flag, I was able to access them again.

So it would seem that when I saving a from my MAC to the network drive, it is assigning the 'Hidden' flag to it.

I have no idea why it's doing this. Any have any suggestions or solutions please? It is causing myself and others in the design team a lot of problems.

Thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are issues with Mac OS and Windows based networks as well as the other way round.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Files and folders will be hidden on a Mac if a period (.) is added at the beginning of the name. Hidden files can be viewed on a Mac in a few ways, but the easiest is probably Pathfinder (not to be confused with the Illustrator tool). It is a Mac Finder replacement you can try free for 30 days, It has some useful features, including the ability to view hidden files. I have been using it for years. You could try it while IT works on real fix for your problem, but don't tell them, or they'll never fix it.

https://cocoatech.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, 

I have experienced the same issue. I am using Illustrator 2021 on a Windows 10 computer and I save files on a network location when done. The .ai files seems to be saved without an issue, but they are saved as hidden files in that network drive/folder. 

Is anyone able to let me know what would be the fix?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am seeing the same with with a user in our environment saving InDesign and Acrobat files (both PDFs and .indd files). has anyone ever found a solution to prevent this? The issue is intermittent. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @BashKestrel,

Thanks for reaching out. Adobe applications support working across networks and from removable media and are vigorously tested across multiple network configurations. However, not all existing network configurations, which include different software, hardware, settings, and access rights, have been tested. Therefore, your network or network configuration can cause errors, crashes, or unexpected behavior.

Therefore, we recommend saving your work to a local hard drive and then manually copying them over to a network drive.

You may learn more about this here: (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/kb/illustrator-support-networks-removable-media.html).

Feel free to reach out if you have questions or need assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines