• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scaling an Entire shape based on the length of one path

Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent some time digging through some other threads, but did not find a solution to my problem.

I am building templates and have a curved shape with a straight edge on one end. I am trying to scale the entire shape based on the desired length of the one straight path. I would venture to say its doable, but I don't know how to go about it. I appreciate any feedback that you might have.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sacha,

You can do it quite easily as follows:

Object>Transform>Scale Uniform, insert 100 times [Desired length of the straight path] then / then [Current length of the straight path].

To get to the 100 times the desired length, just add 00 after the desired length if it is an integer, or move the decimal point two places to the right if there are at least two decimals, or do something in between if it is/has something in between.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome! I'm new to the page, and am impressed with getting such a quick response. I am extremely appreciative of your input.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, Sacha; and welcome to this friendly and helpful place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to understand your instructions, but I can't seem to make it work. 

Here's my exact situation: I've photographed a template and used image trace to create a vector. I know one of the dimensions on the vector and am trying to scale the entire thing based on that. Is this possible? For simplicity, if I photograph a rectangle and I know that one side is 10cm side - then use image trace to create the vector - can I scale the entire vector based on that one known side? It sounds like you've explained it in your answer, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to reference the one know length and extrapolating that to the entire object. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

W,

"For simplicity, if I photograph a rectangle and I know that one side is 10cm side - then use image trace to create the vector - can I scale the entire vector based on that one known side?"

Quite easily, based on the desired length, as follows:

1) Determine which current length you have on the side of the traced image (remember to expand it if not already) that you wish to change to 10 cm, let us call that length L (L could be 6 cm or 16 cm); this can be done by ClickDragging with the Line Segment Tool between the end Anchor Points of the side;

In other words you wish to change the side length from L to 10 cm (this could be from 6 cm or 16 cm);

2) Select the traced image, then Object>Transform>Scale Uniform, and insert 1000/L (1000/6 if L is 6 cm or 1000/16 if L is 16 cm); 1000 = 100*10, and you need to multiply the desired length by 100 to work in %.

This will scale the side in question to become 10 cm, and everything in the whole photo will scale in the same way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Now I get it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are welcome, W.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines