• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Script to move specific named artboard to specific page number.

Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I am trying to automate a process I am currently working on.  The process involves organizing the artboards into a specific order so that I can export the artboards into separate folders on a shared drive. Over the years, many of the illustrator files have been created with the artboards in random order, which is making this process take longer than I feel it needs to be.

For example:

I want the artboards to be in this order: #1 Proof  #2 Artwork  #3 Instructions  #the remaining pages don't matter.  Most of the files were created without the Production Jacket artboard until later, so most of the time it's at #5 or #6 with other various artboards ahead of it.  I have a script/actions ready to go that will export pages 1 and 3 to a specific folder on a shared drive with everyone in the company.  All of the files are good with pages 1 and 2 as that has remained the same over the years.  So I need a way to automatically move artboards named "Instructions" into the page #3 slot so that the script/actions can do their thing and export to folders.

Is there a script that can automatically do this for me?  I have approximately 12,000 files to organize!

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I forgot to change Production Jacket to Instructions and can't figure out how to edit the original post.  Sorry for the confusion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @chris g, are you sure that re-ordering the artboards is best? What about adapting your current script to export artboards *by artboard name*? That might be easier to implement. Also what is your scripting skill level?

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, you could look at my answer here about re-ordering artboards.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have zero scripting experience unfortunately.  I didn't even think that was an option to export by artboard name!  I'll look into that and see if I can figure out a way to do that instead.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines