• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scripting - AI Bridgetalk To Indd Slow

Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a very large script that I use to automate packaging design for my company. The script will create the artwork in illustrator and then creates packaged files. one part of the script triggers a bridgetalk to indesign to create a documentation file using the newly created AI file. my issue is that occasionally the script takes a monsterously long time to process the bridgetalk.

more details about the indesign script

the script being sent to indesign essentially opens a template file, places the AI file and then does some (about 5) textual find/changes, then outputs a PDF. It exists on its own and when used separete of the AI bridgetalk has only taken long times when the file being placed is exceedingly large, but usually it processes faster than you can even make out what is happenning. however, occasionally when being bridegtalked from AI to ID, it'll change from 3 second process time to 200+ seconds. I added some incremental time checks to verify where its being hung up and when it has issues, it ends up being one of the find/change commands. the file will place in normal time frame, the text starts changing and has stats like 0.003 milliseconds each and then one of the find changes will take some absurd number like 200+ seconds.

ex: 

START
Time1: 0 

Time2: 0.25 (template has opened)

Time3: 0.779 (AI graphic placed and resized as needed)
Time4: 0.077 (got modifed file time data)
Time5: 0.008 (turned on and off layers)
Time6: 0.005 (find change 1)
Time7: 0.03 (find change 2)
Time8: 106.268 (find change 3)
Time9: 0.023 (find change 4)
Time10: 0.024 (find change 5)
Time11: 0.37 (pdf output has happened)
END

another example:

START

Time1: 0
Time2: 0.216
Time3: 0.652
Time4: 0.064
Time5: 0.057
Time6: 60.152
Time7: 60.124
Time8: 60.125
Time9: 0.003
Time10: 60.163
Time11: 0.307
END

Basically, are there any known issues with bridgetalking from AI to ID for speed? or have an idea of what might be causing this. mind you if I took the problematic AI files and triggered the ID script not through the AI bridgetalk, it processes in mere seconds. this specifically happens via AI to ID and not always. It usually works as intended, but occasionally hits this snag 

TOPICS
Performance , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

so you say the script runs fine for the most part, then sometimes it runs slow. Can you make another test with the exact same file right after it runs slow? I would expect the second run to run as slow or slower. Then restart illustrator, restart Indesign and make a third test with the exact same files. Let us know if the second test was as slow and if the third test got faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines