• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Select by shape?

Engaged ,
May 27, 2019 May 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to select all objects that share the same shape? For example, in a field of polka dots, could I automatically select all of the ones that were 1" dia, regardless of their fill/stroke?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can select "Same shapes" if a circle hasn't been converted to a path.

You can select by size using scripts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a number of installable scripts that have been written to accomplish this. I am still able to use one that I downloaded for CS4 with my current CC2019 version of Illustrator. The script is called SelectPathsBy Size.jsx. It allows you to select any ojects in the file based on the AREA of the object. You can choose to select objects bigger, smaller or of an exact area. It works like a charm.

I believe this is the link to the latest version of the script:

js4ai/SelectPathsBySize.jsx at master · johnwun/js4ai · GitHub

You would download this file & place it in Illustrators script folder. On a mac thats - Applications > Adobe Illustrator CC2019 > Presets > en_US > Scripts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello  MarieMeyer

You may try the As suggested above by Matthew, this can be done by scripts. Addition to the link shared above, you may check the below links aswell.Hope this helps.

adobe illustrator - Selecting same shapes in vector files - Graphic Design Stack Exchange

https://thomask.sdf.org/blog/2018/12/03/selecting-objects-same-size-adobe-illustrator.html​

Thanks,

Nikhil Gupta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, there's this new and shiny feature called Global Editing in the panel we all love to hate (the Properties). It does exactly what you want, at least what you described in your example: "select all of the ones that were 1 inch dia, regardless of their fill/stroke". You start by selecting one as a sample shape, and hit the mysterious Start Global Edit button in the Properties panel. (Be sure to check out the Options fly-out menu next to the button.) With a little luck, it finds all the similar ones for you. And every edit you make for the selected element, will be applied to the others.

Need just the selection, to group them, or do anything else with them ? Hmm... that's tougher – as I stated it will find the similar ones, but not select them for you. Strange, huh ? I know. That's why we love/hate the half-baked Properties panel...

Adobe Help: Editing similar shapes and objects globally.

Schermafbeelding 2019-05-27 om 23.48.03.png

(Sorry or the Dutch version of the interface, but I guess you'll get it...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Global Editing gave me an error message I could not find what it meant when searching on Google: "global edit is currently not supported for more than 1000 highlighted objects".

The script https://thomask.sdf.org/blog/2018/12/03/selecting-objects-same-size-adobe-illustrator.html Nikhil R Gupta mentioned works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use symbols

Then you can Select >> Same >> Symbol Instance

Your file will be smaller if they are very complex like in Cartography/Mapping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

...The script actually stopped working 😞

@Mike_Gondek Your right, it's cartographic bubble map exported from ArcMap as an Illustrator file. 
ArcMap Export: Picture Symbol: Vectorize Layers with bitmap markers/fills. 

I don't understand how I would do this. That selection is greyed out. Troubleshooting your answer, I'd have to assgin each circle an instance which unless I'm not understanding you would be just as tedius as manually seperating the same size circles into seperate layers. 

If possible PLEASE advise 😄

I've gone back and forth between requesting the export to be a Charactor (font) Marker Symbole and Vector Shape Symbol. Maybe I should request Charactor font to select same font size. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines