• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Select tool is not resizing any object in Illustrator.

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My illustrator is not allowing me to resize anything - textbook, image, shape, etc. - using the selection tool. Whenever I try to, it just moves the object around instead of changing the size. I have googled so many things and cannot find anything to fix it. I have made sure my bounding box is on too. Any thoughts?

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this. In addition to questions asked by Monika, would you mind sharing if this is happening with a specific file or all?

Have you tried resetting the preferences? If not, please try following the instructions below:

For MAC 

• Close all Adobe applications. 
  • Go to locations 
  • ~/Library/Caches 
  • ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe 
  • ~/Library/Preferences 
  • Rename  Adobe Illustrator, com.adobe.illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings folders to   Adobe Illustrator.ol

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version and system is it?

When was the last time you rebooted the computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this. In addition to questions asked by Monika, would you mind sharing if this is happening with a specific file or all?

Have you tried resetting the preferences? If not, please try following the instructions below:

For MAC 

• Go to locations 
  • ~/Library/Caches 
  • ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe 
  • ~/Library/Preferences 
  • Rename  Adobe Illustrator, com.adobe.illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings folders to   Adobe Illustrator.old, com.adobe.illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings.old 
  • Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud. 

For Windows 

• Go to Location C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe 
  • Rename  Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings.old 
  • Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud. 

**Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and Illustrator will recreate new folders with default settings.

Let us know if it helps. Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that worked! Thank you so much everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear it worked. Please feel free to reach out if there is any other concern in the future. We'll be happy to help. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello 🙂

I have the same issue, but I do not know where location is? I am working on a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TO RESTORE PREFERENCES QUICKLY USING A KEYBOARD SHORTCUT

• Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (macOS) as you start Illustrator. The new preferences files are created the next time you start Illustrator.
WbolanosCo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a reason why everyone suggests resetting preferences by renaming the folder:

You can revert that. The old preferences are kept.

And if resetting the preferences doesn't help, at least you didn't destroy them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines