Setting dots on chart to match points in gradient

Explorer ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Experts!

I have this image:

jdballou_0-1653608252035.png

And I want the dots on the line to change kind of in parallel with the line gradient on the X axis label – from that green on the left to the deep red on the right.

Is it just a matter of selecting colors off the color pallet or is there a way to match the gradient I’ve set up for the line on the X axis?

Thanks!

jballou

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

1) Select all the dots.

2) Go to Object menu > Compound Path > Make.

3) With the Compound Path selected, apply the desired gradient.

tromboniator_0-1653610956529.png

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Select all the dots.

2) Go to Object menu > Compound Path > Make.

3) With the Compound Path selected, apply the desired gradient.

tromboniator_0-1653610956529.png

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. Glad it was useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 28, 2022 May 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to add the linear gradient, you can even do it without creating the compound path. You can select all dots, apply the gradient, and then set the gradient line through them (from left to right one) using the Gradient tool. I would suggest to group the dots but it's not necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, making this a compound path seems an unnecessary step and could lead to complications if further editing is needed down the road. This seems like a far more elegant solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely. I don't think I realized that would work. Thanks, Anna!

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jdballou,

I for one like the Compound Path way suggested by Peter because of:

Its keeping a horizontal gradient: the difference can be noticeable with a steep dot curve;

And its ease/accuracy (the gradient automatically fills the total width exactly);

And most of all its flexibility:

1) You can add/move dots and have the gradient adjust automatically,

2) If you Group the Compound Path with the gradient label, you can just change the gradient on either and have the change automatically applied to both; at least if the gradient lable is a filled path, which it can become by outlining the Stroke if the label is a stroked path; to avoid that, only relevant if you need to repeat the dot colouring/adjusting enough to justify it, you can apply a more elaborate way, using a copy of the gradient label with a large Stroke Weight behind the dot Compound Path and turn the set into a clipping set and reapply the strokes on the dots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Compound path certainly worked for the case I was working with. But good to hear options from others.

Thanks everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines