• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shapes Clipped/ Missing when importing .AI file into CAD

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, so we often bring .AI files straight into our different CAD/ CAM programs for cutting. We just recently ran into an issue where a few shapes are missing or clipped upon import. Go back to the Illustrator and everything is there! These are simple shapes, and are within the artboard.

I've done my best to narrow down the issue, and it seems to show up when our artboard is larger than 200 inches. It seems like it is based on the bottom left corner of the artboard, anything outside of 200" is ignored completely. If it is partially inside the 200" square, it will bring it along.  Is there anything that can be done to fix this? It seems that this has only been happening since the last update of Illustrator. Since most of the CAD programs are probably reading the PDF format...i'm guessing it's probably a glitch on that end??

Any help would be appreciated. I have attached an example file to show the problem.

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

200" is the physical limit for PDF files which may be how your CAD program is reading the AI file to import.

Have you tried exporting as a DXF file instead?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wondered if maybe that was the case... When exporting .dxf from Illustrator, it turn the arcs into a whole bunch of little straight lines. Is there a way to keep radius shapes as nice smooth bezier curves?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thats a drawback with DXF/CAD files no smooth bezier curves, they are segmented.

The other option is to create your PDF enabled file less than 200 in at scale and enlarge in your cutting software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines