Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sizing my logo for Instagram profile

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi -

I'm new to Illustrator, purchased to develop a logo for a project I'm working on. I managed to create what I need, but have been unable to size it properly to fit into an Instagram profile circle. I have exported and selected 110x110 for sizing (Instagram's suggested sizing), but it still does not fit in that damn circle, AND the quality of the text is impacted greatly (I get making things larger causes distortion, but thought smaller would not be an issuer?).

I can't figure out how to resolve this problem, and am pulling my hair out. HELP!

Thanks,
Stacey

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

My Advice for that is to make a file square width and height the same ex 300px X 300px

Then draw a circle inside it to reach the edges of the stage then put the logo inside the circle and don't get out of the circle edges so now you can remove the circle and save the image and upload it on Instagram you will see the logo in the center same as example below

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 11.15.23 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show a screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem resolved!!! Friend came to the rescue and did the work for me... whew!  thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the update.

It would help other people who find this thread if you could post what your fried did or find out. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem.  Do you know what your friend did by chance?  It would help me tons!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

madelineg31417868  schrieb

I am having the same problem.  Do you know what your friend did by chance?  It would help me tons!

You probably won't get an answer. Please show what you have now and then we might be able to solve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Advice for that is to make a file square width and height the same ex 300px X 300px

Then draw a circle inside it to reach the edges of the stage then put the logo inside the circle and don't get out of the circle edges so now you can remove the circle and save the image and upload it on Instagram you will see the logo in the center same as example below

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 11.15.23 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!  After hours of searching I finally found a template and then created my own.  But I really appreciate your response!

Madeline Grawey

Business & Marketing Coordinator

Zocalo Community Development

(personal details removed by moderator)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked out perfect. If your reading this check out ahmed_waheib post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. This helped me heaps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for making this simple!  I have been dinking around with different-sized art boards going bonkers.  It worked Perfectly as soon as I adjusted to your specs.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this answer! It pointed me in the right direction!

Although Illustrator is the best software you want to use, I managed to center the damned logo in the damned circle with microsoft native paint! Because did not have illustrator available...

The not specified thing is that instagram actually reads the center of the picture you upload: without a hidden circle pointing the software in the area to focus, it zooms automatically to the center of the picture, regardless the image size you posted (frankly, for a picture-based social network, this is CRAZY!).

Make sure to draw a circle with hidden border centered in a square and the game is done. After you uploaded your picture, you can always center your logo step by step looking on how it really fits in the instagram circle.

To do this go back to your software, recenter the logo or modify it as you like, overwrite the file previously uploaded and upload it again with the same name.

It works only with .jpg / .jpeg files, since the instagram software ignores .png files with transparencies

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2018 Aug 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to know that it is not just my issue - feeling a lot less incompetent.  However, not sure if i missed it, but has the issue of picture quality been addressed in the discussion thread?  I'm sure the trick with the circle/square will work, but I'm experiencing the same issue with the quality being greatly degraded.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  P.S. - logo is an Ai file which will be conveted to JPEG for uploading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instagram will always apply its own compression routines, so no matter what that JPEG looks like on your computer, it will look worse on Instagram.

And then: you can't expect your text to look as crisp as in Illustrator when you export it to JPEG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely.  But with the above trick, it looks like it takes care of the issues the first person mentioned, which is ridiculous distortion. You're right - never as sharp as Ai, but perfectly serviceable.

Thank you all for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2023 Aug 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding the circle hidden really helped, other than that it keeps showing blurry or zoomed-in logo. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend screenshotting your artboard on your computer and uploading the screenshot to Instagram. From there you can scale it and it still holds its resolution. I found this to be the best way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

omg, how does doing this actually look better... *dumbfounded designer*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This 3 minute YouTube video helped me to solve this problem. The person in the video uses Photoshop, but you can also do it with Illustrator. Link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqaTU5ZKAKU

In short, what you have to do is:

1. Create an artboard of 1080 by 1080 px.
2. Create a circle within the artboard. Edge to edge.
3. Place your logo inside the circle.
4. Upload logo + the circle to Instagram. It took me a few minutes to be able to see my new profile picture. I don't know if this has something to do with the amount of pixels, but it worked. You have to group the circle with your logo, otherwise it won't work. I tried it without the circle and it failed. It worked with the circle. 

Good luck 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked perfectly for me as well. thanks for sharing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines