Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

slanted rectangle

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2008 Nov 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

is there a way to draw a slanted rectangle directly?

pretty basic question i guess :)

thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean a parallelogram?

Please further explain what you mean by "directly."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way is create a square and use the shear tool, just below the rotate tool on the tool bar (scale tool's fly out.
However if you want to draw a slanted rectangle, it may be just as easy to use the pen tool and click where you what the four points to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>The easiest way is create a square and use the shear tool, just below the rotate tool on the tool bar (scale tool's fly out.

I think it's easier to draw a rectangle then use the Direct Select tool to move one side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2008 Nov 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Thanks for the replys, but what i meant was if i am able to create a recangle (so all corners 90deg), that is rotated, so it doesn't sit horizontally/vertically. By "directly", i meant drawing at it's rotated position, not drawing it regulary and then rotate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If, you're talking about a rectangle resting on a corner, then:

1/ Draw a rectangle and rotate it... easiest

2/ Set up your guides to form the rectangle you need - for accuracy - and then draw it as you want using the guides and rulers...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so otherwise said - "no". 🙂 (i can't draw directly a rotated rectangle.
thanks for answering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can...

With the pen tool, click on the page for the first point (or corner), hold down the Shift key and click three more times to complete the rectangle.

The reason i said use the rulers and guides is you can then get the exact domensions you want and the exact angle of rotation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually Yes.

In

EDIT>PREFERENCES>CONSTRAIN ANGLE

set the angle to 45%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Philip,

45% of 1 degree, a right angle, a half/full turn, or?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, OK, you caught me.

45º for a half turn (diamond shape) not 45%.

If I correctly understand what was wanted.

Personally I'd just draw a square and rotate it 45º but if you are making a bunch of them, or want a specific size sometimes setting the angle like this works pretty good.

Until you forget to reset it back to zero.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i was thinking more of a on-the-fly kind of input, like the 3-point rectangle tool in Corel Draw or the way you draw a rotated rectangle in autocad where you input the starting point, a secondary point that defines the angle and a 3rd point that defines width and length.

let's say i have a raster image that contains some rotated rectangles and i want to trace it. i don't really know what's the angle of their rotation, and i would just like to input it graphically

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was hunting for the same thing and sadly I was remembering the 3-point rectangle in CorelDraw. 😞 
There are a few things I miss dearly from CD, chief among them this and the incredibly simple align shortcut keys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah, 2008, what a great year. (If you didn't have a toe in Lehman Bros...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2008 Nov 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whether he realizes it or not, Z is talking about an illustration program designed to allow/encourage drawing things the way an illustrator thinks: in terms of the thrust lines, axes, and construction of his illustration rather than always in terms of horizontal and vertical.

The 3-point ellipse and rectangle tools of competing programs like Draw, Designer, and Canvas are at least piecemeal provisions toward that for ordinary orthographic drawing. (Canvas's relative vs absolute Transform setting is related.) They can be leveraged to some degree in perspective and axonometric drawing. (There is much practical use for a rotated bounding box.)

Illustrator's Constrain feature is lame, because it suffers from the same debilitating implementation faux pas as SmartGuides: It is buried in general prefs (too inaccessible) and it is an app-level preference instead of a document-specific setting.

Mainstream drawing software should be much farther along by now.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines