• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow Performance after Illustrator 2020 update on macOS

Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone experienced program performance issues? Since I made the update to the latest version I have been having performance problems. The program is too slow and I have a good team, yet simple slow processes are done in light files such as scaling a text or a simple vector.

[Moving from generic Start/Help forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]
[To find a forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/]

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Have you made sure that "dictation" is turned off if you're on a mac? This solved all of my problems. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave that a try. But has not increase the program speeds back to normal. 

The beach ball is not spinning with each click with all the above changes I have made..... but files are dragging slow, and saving a simple file is taking between 2-5mins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues right after updating illustrator and my OS to Catalina - Running a Macbook Pro 2018 fully loaded and had ) issues until this update.  Saving simple files and i mean just a random rectangle is painfully slow.  Accessing files is beyond slow.  Spinning rainbow wheel at every turn.  I have gone thru all the things everyone is suggesting and this is beyond ridiculous.  When will there be a fix???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed! We have three early 2020 16" Macbook Pros that are maxed out on RAM/Processor and nearly 3.5tb of free storage space.

2.4ghz 8-Core i9, 64gb RAM, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB graphics card

A no new fonts added and a new file, no graphics, vectors text added - Illustrator bogs down just navigating around the artboards. This is evidently a software issue, as noted by the numerous commonalities in this thread, as well as it is happening on all three of our machines. The issues did not begin until we updated to the latest version of Illustrator.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is also happening to me, frustratingly slow, uninstalled and went back to a previous version and still too slow to work with. I'm using Illustrator every day and this is hindering my workflow. Have you guys also upgarded to the latest IOS softwar on your mac? I'm thikning it's a combo of the two updates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up rolling my Illustrator version back to 24.2 (I am on Mojave 10.14.6, 2013 Macbook).

It did help some, along with doing ALL the other tricks people have mentioned. Adobe 1998 Color space, graphics cards, GPU view, resetting program preferences, a few others I can't exactly remember. Now Illustrator only bogs down (and is slow to save) when I have busy raster elements linked in and several artboards within the same file... just vectors is mostly ok. Not a perfect solution but has kept me working.

When I attempted to update to Catalina back in DEC and update to new CC it crashed all my CC software and nothing would function, full system failure w/ CC. Luckily a rep at the Apple Store wiped my machine, reinstalled Mojave, and I had done a TimeMachine backup (right before the update to Catalina) to an external drive that I brought with me. It was a hot mess of a situation that he had seen a lot with the newer CC/OS fighting. Seems there are known issues but no patch to fix them. So I will not attempt to put Catalina on my machine again... we'll see how long I can hold out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I´m having the same issues, on a brand new iMac Pro 64GB Ram. Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB.

There is a two second delay on everything in illustrator, even the simplest vector operation. I´m using the latest update off illustrator but hade the same problem with previous versions.

Dictation is turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as a test, try turning off GPU performance in Illustrator preferences and restart Illustrator. It seems to have helped on my iMac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, turning off GPU did not help, but turning off Animated Zoom helped a little, still not good though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the Speech recognition in the system turned off?

Is the automatic GPU detection (or whatever that is called) in the system turned off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I can't be more help. I've had the same issue with Illustrator and this seemed to help. I'll look and see if there's anything else I did to my settings that might have had an effect. I also turned off the Animated Zoom and anything else I could think of that might use GPU power (and have never used any of the dictation/voice recognition features so they're always off). 

I also have issues in Photoshop when using something like the clone tool where the screen will flash black for a split second when I'm rapidly toggling back and forth between tools (like the clone tool, toggling between "sample" and "paint"). Have you seen that? This solution seemed to help with that as well, but doesn't completely eliminate the problem. I spoke with one of the Genius Bar guys and a Mac Service Tech about the Photoshop issue and neither had seen it before and suggested it was probably an Adobe issue. But I've been down this route before and typically Apple & Adobe point fingers at each other, until some update down the road miraculously "solves" the problem.  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip on disabling dictation, that was the silver bullet.  Brought Illustrator back to life!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What fixed this for me was taking the file off of the shared network and working from my desktop. We share a OneDrive space. Editing the file while it was being hosted caused simple actions to take 5-10 seconds each, and every time I tried to save it would throw me the "This file has been modified outside of Illustrator" message. It was all fixed when I took them out of the drive and edited them locally. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also experiencing 2-3 second delays when using Illustrator 2020. Panning, zooming, moving objects, everything takes a few seconds to catch up and visually skips. I'm using a fully spec'd 2019 Macbook Pro, and I have tried all of the listed suggestions in the comments. This is an incredibly frustrating experience, which must come down to a software issue. I hope adobe can find a fix soon, this is absurd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue so I re-installed Illustrator 2020 and everything is working perfectly fine again. Definitely not updating Illustrator anymore. Nothing good has come from these updates in a long time..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm a little late to the game but I am having the same issues described here with 25.2 on Big Sur 11.3. MacBook Pro, mid-2015, 16 GB RAM, 1 GB SSD. Illustrator beach balls with every pan, zoom, save, etc. I tried the suggestions here to no avail besides reinstalling, which I am doing now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here’s what I found. I had dictation turned on, on my Mac computer. Once
I disable the dictation illustrator began responding normally. That was the
main issue that was causing the application to run sluggishly. Hope this
helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I did check that but it was never turned on. A reinstall of 25.2 did nothing to help the issue.

BTW that was supposed to be 1 TB in my Mac's description.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NONSENSE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here I am late to the party on this issue. I have been a Mac AI user since 1990 and love and know this programe well. This laste ugrade is the worse I have ever used even on a really spec'd designs system.

1) Adobe your software is a real premium against other competitors and we are bound to your CS lisencing agreement. We have no say in this.

2) Clearly users are FRUSTRATED here and its not a machine/config issue per say - the software is just dysfunctional and broken.

3) Please can somebody on your team a) Fix it and b) STOP overloading the software with useless features that slow it down extensivly. ITS A VECTOR SOFTWARE FOR ILLUSTRATION AND DESIGN NOT CORAL DRAW!

We are PRO's that rely on this software to feed our families and its costing us time and money.  FIX IT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ITS A VECTOR SOFTWARE FOR ILLUSTRATION AND DESIGN NOT CORAL DRAW!

By @Scott Bremner

I think your Shift key is stuck.

If you have specific issues, please describe them and people on this public forum try and help.

Or contact Customer Care and they will log into your system and check it out for issues.

Or update your system, update Illustrator, because that has solved issues for people.

Sometimes you might need to uninstall and run the Cleaner tool (personally I have not needed to do that in years)

Sometimes resetting the preferences will do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines