• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart Guides & Snap to Point: Neither are working!

Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 'Smart Guides' selected.

I have 'Snap to Point' selected.

I do not have 'Snap to Grid' nor 'Snap to Pixel' selected.

My 'Smart Guides' don't show up and neither does the 'Snap to Point' work. Also, when selected, 'Snap to Grid' and 'Snap to Pixel' don't work.

Is there something I am missing in the current update of this program? (a bug maybe?)

I am using the newest as of 2018.04.06  v_22.1 (I think it's 22.1 'cause that's what's in the info).

Please, help... I don't have much time to work on designs.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

I had the same issue but after checking "Smart Guides", "Snap to Pixel" and "Snap to Point" the problem was solved.oh-snap.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure that you are not in Pixel Preview mode (Alt+ Ctrl+Y)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Posting a screenshot, will save you time. We need to know if you are snapping text, irregular objects,  complex objects, etc. etc etc. A screenshot will provide us lots of information, and I recomend doing that with every post, as we often forget just how much useful information we leave out when posting.

Yes they changed snapping in latest update, especially point text

snapping not working on text objects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We have been waiting for your response to this query.Kindly update the discussion if the issue is resolved or you need further assistance with it.

Thanks,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti, Replying to you, since you work for Adobe. 
I've been a professional designer (truly my day job)for close to 20 years now, and have used every version of Illustrator from 9.0 up to CC2021. In very simple terms, Illustrator used to have a simple function called "snap to guides."

With this enabled, points objects withn a user defined tolerance would snap to nearby guides. What was great about this was it wasn't the document's grid (often a specifc line defined by the person doing the illustration rather than a rigid grid with many intersections rather than just one <- the guide). These also aren't smart guides, which become less and less useful as an illustration becomes more complex.

The ability to snap to a simple guide seems to have been lost within Illustrator. It's still there in InDesign and a big reason I don't prefer Illustrator – it defies every attempt at precision. Still, InDesign isn't the tool for all things. Illustrator cannot be replaced, esp in a hybrid design + motion graphics workflow. Good old "snap to guides" has been sorely missed for some time. 

Please tell the product people at Adobe, a lot of what's missing in Illustrator and throughout CC apps is simplicity.

When proferssional users define the product, that's who it works for. 
When students and neophytes wants define the product, that's who it works for.
When marketing teams who never use a product define it, it works for no one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2021 Dec 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please report bugs to:

http://illustrator.uservoice.com

That's what the engineers read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue but after checking "Smart Guides", "Snap to Pixel" and "Snap to Point" the problem was solved.oh-snap.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition, check to see if Snap to Grid is on (View Menu > Snap to Grid). If so, turn it off and see if that works.

Snap to Grid automatically disables Smart Guides when it is on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

go to top bar WINDOW then drop down to PROPERTIES, this opens up a selection panel and this helps... a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2023 Apr 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What? Good insight -- one would never know that intuitively! It seems like having all your snaps on would give you a better chance of having the pink lines show up, but apparently not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines