• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Software crashes when opening PDFs in latest update on Illustrator (Puffin)

Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate if any fix can be suggested as it was all working well before the update.

Thank you!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Mentor ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstall, run cleaner tool, reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Met1,

Thank you so much for helping,

Puffin bird appears on screen when the updated software version opens on my computer.

I just put it, so someone can get an idea of what Ai update I’m talking about 😊

Could you please help me locate the cleaner tool.

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First I would try if that happens with all your files?

Are the files on the computer or in a network?

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

Thank you!!

It's happening with all pdfs that I receive from outside and old pdf files I got, that I try to open in Ai for editing.

It also happened to a file I downloaded from Adobe spark.

All my files are in a local shared drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try if that also happens when they are not in that shared drive, but in a plain folder on your harddisk?

Just to rule out that the shared volume causes this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens to files downloaded to my computer too. I'm assuming it's a pdf version compatibility issue that the updated Ai version is not recognising. As I am able to open pdfs in another computer that got the old Ai version before the new one, and ALL pdfs open fine in it. I even can open pdfs I edited and saved in that computer with old Ai version in my computer with updated Ai version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do other files open OK?

Can you create new files?

What if you save a PDF, can you then open that?

What kind of PDFs are they?

It could of course be the case that some Import filter did not install at all or correctly. Then an uninstall/reinstall could help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF Files I create newly in the updated Ai version opens fine.

Already created PDF files I open in old Ai version and save as PDF files I can open in the new Ai version.

Ai files created in old Ai version opens fine in new Ai version.

PDF files I create are for digital print, I save them high quality with Ai editable option ticked.

PDF files I receive are all sorts 🙂

Also I found that already created PDF files still craches the software when I try to place the file in updated Ai even as a link. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So looks like it's not a general PDF issue.

Did you already reboot the computer? Reset the preferences?

Anything remarkably about the file size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I would request you to share some sample PDF files with us, and we'll check them at our end. Also, could you please confirm the OS & the exact version of Illustrator installed on the device on which it is working and the one on which it is crashing? Additionally, please submit the crash report by following the steps suggested here (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/kb/crash-next-steps.html).
While submitting the crash report, please use the same email address with which you are signed in on this community. This will help us find the crash report and help accordingly.

We'll be looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anshul,

Thanx for checking, Not yet but I found a workaround as I couldn't spend too much time on it as my work piled up as I'm the only one who does what I do at my work place.

I installed the old version which was working fine before. It had some issues Eg: when I try to save Ai file it was not saving and then I tried saving in pdf it saved the file.

Yesterday that issue seemed to have recovered. I'm yet to findout if it's still the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture 2.JPG

Nikki5E31_0-1638249609237.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the details & screenshot. Would it be possible for you to share the PDF with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link here or via DM. We'll check it at our end. Also, you may try the steps suggested on this YouTube video (https://youtu.be/kenAIsJEyJU) and let us know if it helps.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Steps to Fix Logtransport2 Error on Shutdown in Windows 10, Fix LogTransport2.exe Error The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anshul,

Thanx for your suggestions, below is what I see when I tried to follow the instructions on youtube video.

Capture 3.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying the steps. I would request to try our latest Prerelease build, v26.0.2.

Please follow the instructions below to get this:
1. If you are not already part of the Illustrator Prerelease program, then please click this link to join the prerelease – https://www.adobeprerelease.com/beta/85A6F544-2705-49BD-8314-DD549C6A1713
2. Accept Prerelease Agreement
3. Go to Creative Cloud Desktop and look for Prerelease in the Apps section.
4. Install/Update to Illustrator Prerelease 26.0.2 from Creative Cloud Desktop Pre-Release Tab (This will not replace the existing installation of Release build of Illustrator)

Please let us know whether this issue is fixed for you in this prerelease build or not.

This build contains fixes for stability, security, and some other reported issues.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anshul,

I ran the adobe cleaner tool and installed the latest version still the problem is same when trying to open PDF files in Ai.

I'm not getting a crash report. The screen just freezes, I just end task the Ai to close it.

Nikki5E31_0-1638408595784.png

next when I try to open a pdf I created in the New Ai it displays below to recover file

Nikki5E31_2-1638408907662.jpeg

Nikki5E31_1-1638408881676.png

I also noticed that I'm getting the log transport error when I try to restart computer. is there anyother way to fix the error other than what the Youtube video suggested?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As suggested above, you may try the prerelease build. Also, I would request you to share the PDF files with me here or via DM. I'll check them at my end.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anshul,

I'm currently using Ai V25.4.2 which I installed after the latest version update gave trouble.

The Ai version that works smooth is Ai V25.2 which is in another computer at my work place....any PDF file can be opened in that but not Ai V25.4.2 and versions above (for me)

Please find the links to files

Below original file from customer which didn't open in Ai V25.4.2 but opened in Ai V25.2

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/9bc43722-712e-4f34-6b5d-a44c55c968d0

Below original file from customer which opened in both Ai V25.4.2 & Ai V25.2

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/06cb0162-7e2e-4ef8-44b3-772d2a76bdee

Below PDFs I opened in Ai V25.2 and saved as PDF which then enabled me to open file in Ai V25.4.2 without problem.

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/16029fbc-6925-4c9a-51a7-e6402a9cfdb9

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/e6bea7df-8235-4d10-6de8-47e1c6f105c1

Thank you for all your help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the files. I was able to open them all in v25.4.2, v26.0.1 & Prerelease v26.0.2 without any issues.

I would request you to install the Prerelease version as mentioned above by me and let me know how it goes after installing it.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Anshul,

I will try Prerelease version in my home pc. but I thought to continue using Adobe v25.4.2 in my computer as the importing PDF issue got sorted automatically. No more end task or screen freeze. I didn't attempt to fix anything after my last post to you but continued to switch between computers that had the two versions whenever I got stuck,

but now it appears the software sorted the issue itself for me. Now I can open any PDF I receive in Illustrator v25.4.2. I'm not attempting to trial the Prerelease version in my work computer as I don't want to experience the past issue.

Thank you so much for all your help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines