Some characters shows as box, but when open no error shows in illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a pdf file, which can be opened in AdobeReader, but can't be opened in Illustrator for some characters are shown as boxes.

be6hW.png

When I opened this file in Illustrator, no reminder showed. How can I make Illustrator show these characters?

Thanks.

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not recomended to use Illustrator as PDF editor for PDF files that were not created with Illustrator.

In your example the font could be missing or re-encoded.

You could try to place the PDF linked and use Object > Flatten Transparency with Convert Text to Outlines

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see in Acrobat, the Framed Boxes are Symbol Font. But I chose Symbol Font in Illustrator, it showed Framed Boxes too. Is there a way to solve this problem? I don't want to convert text to outlines.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the "Protected glyph" setting in the Illustrator preferences. If that does not help, then outline.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have enabled missing protected glygh. However, it is no use. When I unclicked the missing protected glygh, it is still the same. Are there other ways to solve this problem?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Outline the text as Ton described.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After outlining the text, there are still boxes.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you place the file as linked and use Flatten Transparency?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did as he told me and now the problem has been solved. Thanks a lot. I want to find a way to correct the boxes not to Flatten Transparency.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to do it exactly as described by Ton.

PLace and link the PDF in a new Illustrator file. Then flatten transparency.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did as he told me and now the problem has been solved. Thanks a lot. I want to find a way to correct the boxes not to Flatten Transparency. Is there a way?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines