Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Space bar

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed with the new update of illustrator I can no longer use the space bar to quickly access the hand tool. Is this something that will be fixed or is is gone pemanently?

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS are you using?

What tool do you have selected when you press the spacebar?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The spacebar is a modifier key.

Those are often captured by other applications. Browsers are famous, but the list is long. Reboot the computer, launch only Illustrator. Does it work?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't work for me either. 

this is the only way I made it work consistently. With the Selection tool active

- press spacebar, hand tool comes up, but clicking does not make the hand tool "grab" the page to move it

- keep pressing the spacebar, then press and release the Alt key. Hand tool now works as usual until next time.

it's a major bug, hope it gets fixed right away.

Tested on Windows 11, Illustrator v27.0

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be a problem on Windows only, Mac works fine for me.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine works fine, Win10, Illy27.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem also in the newest Illustrator 27.0 (on Mac/Ventura)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think Monica's solution is usually the problem when any modifier key (space bar, Space, etc.) doesn't seem to work. It's usually an application (could be a virus blocker or other apps) or browser extension that "grabs" the modifier keys.

To determine whether this is the problem (either Mac or Windows), quit the application and restart your computer. Use your operaring system method of disabling startup applications (on a Mac, hold down the Shift key). .Open Illustrator (or the other application where this occurs) FIRST.

Test to see if the problem is still occurring. Very often, it now works correctly.

Then you need to carefully, launch other applications, one by one, to see which app or extension is the culprit.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines