• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Suddenly can't edit live type in an Illustrator file (that only I've had access to)

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2014 Jan 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently lost the ability to edit type in an extensive, mission-critical Illustrator file.  Upon hovering over live text, I first see a pencil cursor with circle/line indicating "can't edit". When I attempt a workaround by selecting text first with the direct select arrow, then type tool, I get the error message: "This type was created in a different version of Illustrator. Editing the text may cause some changes to your text layout. Basic formatting will not be affected. Do you want to continue?"  (Yet I created the entire file myself in Illustrator CS6 and was the only one manipulating it in the same version!) 

When I select "Continue", then click on live type anywhere in the document, the subsequent error message simply states "Can't edit the type".  And I really can't.  Not sure what to do, as my whole process depends on copying and modifying chunks of content throughout this extensive web app mock, in which months of labor have been invested.

So, I upgraded to CC/CS7 hoping that might help, but am getting the same error there.  This file (among many others) that is basically priceless to my job security now appears useless.

The font I'm using is Source Sans Pro, an Adobe font I downloaded from http://www.google.com/fonts/specimen/Source+Sans+Pro.  It has worked flawlessly all year.  Absolutely puzzled and trying not to panic on deadline.  Thanks for any insight you all have!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 23, 2016 Aug 23, 2016

The original post should have been resolved by  setting all text. Type >> Legacy Text >> update all legacy text.

If the other posters did not encounter an error of "This type was created in a different version of Illustrator. Editing the text may cause some changes to your text layout. Basic formatting will not be affected. Do you want to continue?" you  should start your own post as your problem is coming from another cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jan 26, 2014 Jan 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, did you install any other fonts recently? Changed system language settings? Changed settings on one of the text-centric panels like Glyph substitution options and all that? Have you tried to open the file on another system?

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2014 Jan 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I upgraded machines to brand new MacBook Pro, upgraded work CS to subscription CC like I have at home studio, and unfortunately the bug followed my affected file(s) through all of that.  Quite pernicious.  My accidental workaround is described above, with Dhanuka's answer being partly correct.  Copy/pasting content, though highly impractcal, became my only option as my desperation grew (which I discovered as a workaround on my own).  In that process, though, of copying from the original seemeingly corrupt doc, I was able to rather inexplicably break through the error messaging loop & edit the type again, THANK GOODNESS.

Also did some minor cleanup w/ font management, but didn't notice a clear correlation w/ that and my success.  Sheer stubbornness pays, I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 03, 2014 Feb 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be great if you could send a sample file for the Adobe Illustrator team to investigate. Please zip the file and send that as an attachement to: ShareWithAi@adobe.com

Thanks!

- Neeraj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 27, 2014 Jan 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried copy pasting the entire document or only the text into another Illustrator document ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2014 Jan 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: This problem is very mercurial.  Stumbled upon a sideways solution after learning by hands-on trial and error that I could copy/paste frozen content to a different doc and edit it there.  In this process, I was eventually able to restore editing capability to the original doc, inexplicably.  The warning comes up sometimes, but I just keep bashing through with various tools (direct select/type alternately), and I generally find a way through.  Puzzling and concerning though.  This bug has cost me dearly, and rebuilding from scratch really wasn't an option.  The copy-pasting would have been ridiculous with my multi-artboard & layered file, but less so than starting from scratch.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2016 Jul 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Am experiencing the same problem with a deadline tomorrow...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crizzz schrieb:

I Am experiencing the same problem with a deadline tomorrow...

This thread is from 2014.

So you have the exact same problem with the exact same version, font, system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, different font. I get loads of error messaging when I copy/paste: "Can't edit the type". I tried re-installing illustrator CC 2 times today, cannot even try to type within existing text. Type is Open sanss and Roboto Slab. most of the time illustrator just quits, without notifications afterwards. Really odd, never experienced this before... Document is 800 MB. But never been a problem before..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I try "Command + X" on text, illustrator just quits. It all started when I tried to copy text this afterneen from email text to illustrator cc (latest version 2105.3)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS working on iMac with El Capitan. Also tried on a macbook pro. Both from 2011, both having the same problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2016 Aug 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to work around this by simply selecting all (Ctrl+A) and then copy (Ctrl+C) but then doing nothing else. This unlocked all the text. Hope this helps someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Pablosanj,

OMG, it worked!!!  Thank you so much.

I can't tell you how many hours I wasted!

Ella

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2016 Aug 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original post should have been resolved by  setting all text. Type >> Legacy Text >> update all legacy text.

If the other posters did not encounter an error of "This type was created in a different version of Illustrator. Editing the text may cause some changes to your text layout. Basic formatting will not be affected. Do you want to continue?" you  should start your own post as your problem is coming from another cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a similar vein,

I updated my Illustrator last night and today wanted to work on an .ai file that I easily worked with previously and now I can't.

I have two immediate issues that came up:

1.) I cannot use command-A to select all the live text of a word,

2.) Or when I do have highlighted text and try to re-type the word, it won't and a pop-up appears saying "Can't edit live text." I went to "Type" in the menu bar but Legacy Text is grayed out. I cut and pasted into a new document, same deal.

Update bug? Font? Default Setting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please post a file using dropbox or similar,  with just the problem area. You can start your own past as will have better response and targeted feedback for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem suddenly not being able to select and edit any text.

For me the answer was very simple.

Under "VIEW" on the top menu, it must say "HIDE EDGES". If is says "SHOW EDGES" just click on it and it will change to Hide Edges.

You will notice that the keyboard command for changing this is Command H, which is probably something I did by mistake and then it through me into a panic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2017 Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines