Sufficient for AI? If not, suggestions under $800??

New Here ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! This is my first post to this community and I am really 'illiterate' when it comes to anything beyond just using a computer at a fairly basic level. I break out in hives when I have to try and understand the technical details (my eye is twitching just typing this). So thank you in advance for your patience with me and kind direction (:

I am in a class that requires AI - my teacher requires that we turn on/use the GPU Performance and Animated Zoom features, but it would appear my 7ish year old HP Pavilion DM4 Notebook has an outdated/old grafics card and when I followed AI's recommendation to update the driver the intel driver assistant could not find any updates available for me. Go figure.

My current laptop only has 8GB (7.80 GB usable) RAM and is running the Intel Core i5 CPU - I feel like it is in my best interest to upgrade to a newer laptop with significantly more RAM as I plan to work heavily from the device for designing in AI. In the little reasearch I've done, it's been highly recommended to have 32GB RAM and I have found an HP laptop that offers this at the max of my budget (it's on sale atm). My question is to those who have been blessed with the desire to understand the technicalities behind these devices and guide me in the right direction. This is an investment in myself and the start of a future business, but I am on a single income with 3 kiddos and truly need to keep price in mind without totally sacrificing quality. In short, I don't want to buy something that won't get me through for a few years or won't be able to carry the weight of using AI to design on a regular basis. Not sure if this detail is helpful, but I will also be using a VEIKK tablet to design within AI (this tablet connects to my laptop via USB). 

The laptop I am eyeing right now does not run on intel, but rather an AMD processor... and I have never not used intel, but I have also never needed to worry whether my processer could or could not 'do' a thing. lol
It seems that intel has, in most cases, minor speed advantages that the AMD processors don't seem to posses (clock speed?)? I didn't know there were any other processors out there.. so now I am totally overwhelmed with options paired with my lack of knowledge.. whoohoo!

Looking at Intel computers has confirmed that I can't afford the RAM that I need (Could be that I'm not looking hard enough?). I truly don't want to greatly exceed the 700's, money wise. That's even super steep for me, but I feel I am forced to spend at least that much for the RAM alone and it makes me sad lol.

So, on to the computer specs I am looking at on the potential upgrade.
Newest HP Notebook Laptop, 17.3’’ Full HD Display, AMD Ryzen 5 5500U Hexa-Core Processor, 32GB RAM, 1TB PCIe SSD+1TB HDD, Fingerprint Reader, Wi-Fi, Webcam, HDMI, Windows 11 Home, Natural Silver
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5000 Series (2.10 GHz)
GPU: AMD Radeon Graphics

Currently this laptop is on sale, so I couldn't afford it otherwise. Is this worth my hard earned money? Or will I be totally let down. I need to purchase one within a few days so I don't get behind in my class, and I would like to take advantage of the sale price if this particular laptop is a good option for my needs.

Thanks in advance to those who took the time to sift through my rant to get to the question!
-Amanda

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't absolutely need 32GB RAM if that will break the budget. How lightweight AI is largely depends on what you plan to do with it -- if you're making simple line drawings you won't notice, but if you're drawing massively detailed things with multiple effects, it will crawl.

It's also not especially efficient software -- there is a limit to how much improvement better hardware can get you.

See what you can get with 16GB RAM too.

I can't find any info on the compatibility of integrated AMD Radeon unfortunately. If it's reasonably new, it's a fair bet that Illustrator supports it.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thing is, this 32 gig is cheaper than it's 16 gig counterpart right now, so
it seems like a no brainer to purchase it while that's the case. I'll peek
at a few other manufacturers/modles and see if I come across any 16gig
Intel processors before I commit. Also, I can return this one if it arrives
and I find it's not compatible with AI (worse case).

I was hoping not to run into so many variables lol
These poor system designers, always having to make modifications to the
latest OS's and Processors. Kudos to them!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines