• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SVG file opens or places as a blank image in Illustrator but does open and display in a browser

Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2021 Jun 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to find a support discussion that solves this issue. 

My web designer created a logo for me and supplied numerous formats, among them an SVG file.

I would like to resize the image from the SVG in Illustrator to use in a Photoshop document, but when I attempt to open it in Illustrator, or "place" the image in a new document, it displays as a blank image. The file itself is not blank, as I can simply drag the SVG into Chrome and the logo is fully visible and very large. 

Please help!

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2021 Jun 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try if Inkscape can open it.

The file is weird. WHen opened in Illustrator there is some invisible background image in it. When opened in Affinity designer, there is also a background image in it, but AD can display that image. But doesn't matter, because there are pixels in it.

Ask your designer for working file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I have tried to open this file in both Illustrator and Inkscape: it looks blank. However, it still renders OK in Google Chrome. See attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File is not valid. 122 errors.

Maybe try and fix that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This file has been generated by a web site. I have no idea how to fix it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2023 Aug 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know im late to the party but thats a png converted to svg, if you open the svg in TextEdit (Notepad) in the first couple lines it explains it's converting a png. Usually when this happens to an actual vector file, you still get bits of the vector open in illustrator but you need to edit out the code something like this: <g fill="none" fill-rule="evenodd"> save and reopen. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines