• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Swatches going from greyscale to CMYK

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm eperiency a very frustrating problem with illustrator. 

Hi all, I hope some of you might help.
I have to convert some CMYK artworks into greyscale by recolouring the artwork with greyscale  swatches. 
When I do this, I select the shapes, recolour them with greyscale and it's all good until I reselect the shape, I click "add selected colours' to create a new swatch...and that swatch comes again as a CMYK in the swatches panel... and if I click on th shape this is now turned into CMYK again! 
It's a loop and I don't know hot to get out of it. Why does the swatch turns into CMYK again and don't stay as greyscale?? 

I hope you can help me. 

Thank you so much

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

In order to check your artwork afterwards, use the separations preview. Far easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are using the Recolor Artwork function?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, I have to recolour every shape with new greyscale swatches

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us step by step what exactly you are doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a recording of all the steps. You can see that I convert the greys to greyscale.. then when adding the swatches to the panel they are CMYK again! 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First make a greyscale swatch by using "New swatch" from the swatches panel and then selecting greyscale inside the dialog box. Then apply the swatch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do that as well, but if I then add the swatch from the shape, that swatch goes as CMYK! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there is a swatch already, why do you add it a second time?

I don't think I understand your workflow.

Illustrator doesn't have a greyscale document color mode and when you export a  PDF for printing, make sure there is just information in the black channel and it will be OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a workflow that my company applies so I'm following, adding the second time the swatch is to make sure I didn't leave any parts in CMKY. So after I converted all in grey I select all the artworks in the board and import the swatches to see if there is any element still in colour. The think is when my colleague does this step her swatches go as greyscale in the panel, while mine go back to CMYK... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order to check your artwork afterwards, use the separations preview. Far easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a great suggestion! thank you so much! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad you could solve it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also select your artwork and choose Edit > Edit Colors > Convert to Greyscale.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have checked it out, but it doesn't change the swatches once they are CMYK swatches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know, but it makes sure that your artwork is greyscale.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines