• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Symbol within a symbol

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who knows a lot about using symbols in Illustrator? I have a symbol I made that has an embedded symbol inside of it. I want to change the embedded symbols color of an instance (Not the original symbol color) but Illustrator won't let me. It only lets me change the main symbols color.

I don't want to break the link to the symbol to do this though.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know nothing about symbols, but it seems to me that you'd have to have created the "embedded" symbol previously, so why not edit that? It's my limited understanding that changing a symbol will change all occurences of where it is used... no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I just tried it. I created symbol A, then made symbol B with symbol A in it... I changed symbol A and symbol B changed... Very simple color squares, so maybe if you have something complex your solution might be more complex...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only want to change the instance of a symbol with an embedded symbol inside it. I have an icon embedded in another Symbol. I can edit the instance color (Not the original symbol color) since I only need 1 color variation. It's not letting me edit the embedded icon symbol though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never nest symbols. There used to be a serious issues of crashing, not printing or making PDFs. While this version of Illustrator might be working, you are setting yourself up for disaster.

Why are you nesting them? Unless you have a huge project with 100s of symbol varaiotns with a common element, abandon this nesting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Symbol nested into a symbol is not a good practice as Mike suggested.

Anyway, if you want to change an individual instance of a symbol, make sure that when you create the symbol for the first time chose Dynamic Symbol instead of Static symbol, this way, using the white arrow tool you can select and change something on an instance of the symbol, but limited.

MarioArizmendi_0-1665696081885.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. I have a main icon and it's used in different logo versions. If I ever edit it, I wanted it to change in all versions of the logo. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines