Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

the best way to edit a PDF

Enthusiast ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

What adobe software to choose to edit a PDF at its best : edit with illustrator, or edit with acrobat pro / photoshop / InDesign/ other ?

TOPICS
Draw and design , Import and export , Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will get the warning here that PDF is not made for editing.

That's true, always try to go back to the  source that created the PDF to make a new changed one.

If that is not possible, depending on what you want, Acrobat has some options, Photoshop can retrieve images and Illustrator can give you some vector content. Resaving as a PDF can damage the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for guiding. Its really working....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best way to edit a PDF is to start with the original native file of whatever software created it.

Failing that, it depends what you need to achieve. What do you need to achieve?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PDF was made with QuarkXpress, but I have not QuarkXpress, and it uses DIN font.

My goal is to edit the text inside this PDF. What is the adobe product that could do the job ?

I have seen that acrobat pro does not have DIN font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Applications do not have fonts, generally. If you need the DIN font, you need to install it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you install the correct font, and only need to make small-scale edits to text, it might be best to use Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to add DIN font inside Acrobat Pro ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pierre,

as I wrote in the InDesign forum, fonts must be installed in the system. Then you will be able to use them in any software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to install a new font (like DIN) in Acrobat Pro ? Where to find it and how to install it ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wrote it many times: you do not install fonts IN or FOR a software. You install it in your system, that's all.

Are you on Mac or Windows? Do you use a font management software? We will be able to guide you more precisely when you will give us the informations.

About DIN fonts, as I wrote in the InDesign forum, there are a lot of versions, so you need to know the exact version. Maybe you will find it here, but it is not sure.

https://fonts.adobe.com/

If not, you need to know the exact version and purchase a licence here, for example:

https://www.myfonts.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same way you install any other font in your system. There are some flavours of DIN available through Adobe Fonts:

https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/din-2014

Or for purchase from other font listing sites:

https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/fontfont/ff-din/

There are also versions available for free, but these copies are generally not licensed for commercial use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on Windows.

If I go on adobe font site, is the font is free for me (it is not for commercial use). From adobe font site, how to download and install it on my system ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe fonts are licensed for commercial use.

It is free if you have a current CC subscription. If you're logged in to your Adobe account, just click on 'Activate Fonts'. But as jmlevy said, you need to know that it is the same version as the font in your PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a CC subscription.

About the DIN font, in the PDF I have, if I go on document properties / font, I have several DIN fonts used in the PDF, but I don't know if adobe font site has these DIN font :

DIN 2.jpg

DIN 1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Type 1 fonts are an old format and I think you will struggle to find it.

I'm not sure you have any good options here, though I would be happy to be corrected.

If the document is very simple it may be feasible to replace the fonts in Acrobat with another version of DIN you can get a license for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be OTF fonts in the original file, since they are converted to Type 1 (never understood why) when the PDF is created.

InDesign file

Capture d’écran 2022-02-09 à 13.57.31.jpg

PDF

Capture d’écran 2022-02-09 à 13.58.04.jpg

@pierret18811376 I am quite sure that none of the DIN versions available on Adobe Fonts are the same as the one in the PDF. As @Doug A Roberts suggests, your best choice is to choose another font. Again, I ask the question: what kind of edits do you need to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think they get converted, it is just an indication of the kind of OpenType font outlines; TrueType or Type1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>what kind of edits do you need to do?

My need on PDF is only to work on the text, not to change the design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't you contact the person who created this PDF to know which version of DIN is used?

Be aware of the text reflow problems that can occur. New text may not flow correctly from one column to another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found an old version of DIN PostScript on my hard drive and just reinstall it and it is the same version used in your file. This font comes frome FontShop

https://www.fontshop.com/families/ff-din/buy

but the PostScript version is no more available ans has been replaced by Std version and Pro version (the Std version will be enough for French)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Pierre,

I already answered your question at the Adobe InDesign forum.

Just to be more clear:

Do all your typesetting with InDesign. On top of the placed PDF.

Remove the original text with Acrobat Pro.

Details:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/how-to-edit-a-pdf/m-p/12739434#M465194

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines