• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

This file has been modified outside of Illustrator.

Engaged ,
Feb 16, 2008 Feb 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"This file has been modified outside of Illustrator. Do you want to continue?"

I keep getting this message. Anyone know what it means?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having this same error with the latest incarnation of CS and OS High Sierra. Annoying to say the least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep getting this, since CC2018 and MacOSX update. It seems like a permissions issue, since mac went Intel this has been a repeated issue. Will check with our IT support and let you know once I fix this annoying bug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2024 Mar 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been getting this message most every time I save the file. It also creates a TEMP file in the folder that I cannot delete until I restart Illustrator and sometimes not until I restart the system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do you save the files, to a cloud/synch folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you also turn off Save in Background in Preferences > File Handling?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still getting this on High Sierra after updating to CC 2018 today… Quite annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm holding thumbs for Illustrator 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started getting this a lot this morning after updating to the latest version.  I also recently updated to High Sierra, so may be related to that, although I haven't seen it till I updated Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you working off a server, if so what OS platform/server software?

Which did you do first update to High Sierra or Adobe CC 2018? Depending on your answer you may want to use the Adobe cleaner to uninstall and then reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No not a server. And I updated to High Sierra first, but am only on the latest update of Ilustrator 2017.  I'm not even seeing 2018 as an option.  But been thinking of running Cleaner anyway, cause I have pieces of a lot of old versions I'd like to get rid of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are not seeing 2018 as an option to update, then the adobe cloud app must believe you are on an older versions of mac os. You also may be running an old versions  of the Adobe cloud.

If you can start a new post that would be appreciated. Seeing a screenshot of your Adobe Cloud cloud would offer a lot of clues to help us troubleshoot better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OS and Adobe CC all are upto date and working on a local system and still showing this message! Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 4.30.19 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an old post since 2008. Please start a new  post and will be glad to assist.

Much has changed  from OS version to OS & Illustrator plug ins that are available, since then.  The previous replies only clutter up working and focusing on the variables that cause  your situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what does 'holding thumbs' mean? i haven't heard it before

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sabt  schrieb

what does 'holding thumbs' mean? i haven't heard it before

Cross your fingers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting this message too, but seems to be the autosave feature which has a bug... colleagues who have disabled auto save do not have the same issue.

I have switched it off and reverted to Astute Graphics' Autosaviour and issue has gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this all the time too. Many times Illustrator is the only app I'm using. I don't use auto save. I'm guessing it has something to do with the constant connecting back and forth to Adobe even though I don't (knowingly) use any Cloud features. It's more annoying than anything else. So far it hasn't caused any issues with my files. Using latest OSX and Adobe versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 24, 2017 Nov 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have been trying to chase this issue of late without success: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/31674355-after-updating...

Please help us by emailing at sharewithai@adobe.com

few people reported it to Dropbox is that the only scenario?

Note: Illustrator does not support network or removable drives as scratch disks, or folders of file sync services such as Dropbox and Google Drive. We will still try to resolve this issue so please email us.

Reference: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/illustrator-support-networks-removable-media.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Google Drive all the time. This does make sense now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same pain in the back here. Not related to sync services or removable devices. It's taking way too long to get this fixed. The way Adobe uses customers as beta testers with e-v-e-r-y  s-i-n-g-l-e update is just unbelievable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2017 Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m seeing the same issue also recently upgraded High Sierra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me, too. And I just upgraded to Illustrator CC 2018 (22.0.1), and am still getting the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This replies to this post have provided very little detail on this issue new issue  having to do with High Sierra. Help yourself and  Adobe to get you a better solution by answering these questions and anything else  helpful

Can someone  post more detail about:

1. exactly when (save as, save, export)?
  2. does the error happen every single time?
  3. type of drive: SSD, external drive, google drive, dropbox ? A screenshot of your drive would help as yo may have chosen the AFPS drive formatting?
  4. has anyone  reformatting an APFS drive back to Mac OS Extended to try an resolve this?

How to choose between APFS and Mac OS Extended when formatting a disk for Mac - Apple Support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. exactly when (save as, save, export)?
    After Save.
  2. does the error happen every single time?
    Every single Time
  3. type of drive: SSD, external drive, google drive, dropbox ? A screenshot of your drive would help as yo may have chosen the AFPS drive formatting?
    Working Locoally on a Macbook Pro SSD with High Sierra installed. 10.13.1
  4. has anyone  reformatting an APFS drive back to Mac OS Extended to try an resolve this?
    No.

Thoughts on why Illustrator is all of sudden, taking a locally worked on file and causing me to acknowledge that Yes I want to continue after making edits during a save onto the same exact file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BBi-TM,

Can you backup your data onto another drive, and try reformatting the APFS drive to Mac Extended as per the link I supplied?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines