Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tilde Key not working

Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all - 

Reposting what another memeber wrote because I'm having the same issue and looks like no one has been able to resolve it - 

My hot keys that scale, rotate and move patterns only are not working. Usually if you hit the Tilde symbol with S, R (S~ and R~) and the tilde symbol alone, it scales, rotates and moves the pattern only. Since I've started usuing my new computer the tilde key does not seem to be working to isolate patterns. 

My space bar is also not working as the quick hand tool. 

Hope someone can please help - I cant figure out why!

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quit all other apps. They could be interfering. Especially the browser. If that doesn't work, try a computer reboot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same problem with the tilde key. I hold it down, use the arrow keys but the selected object moves instead of its pattern. I found a site from 2020 with many reports but it lokks like up to now no one from Adobe has solved it. Today, I spent over two hours with their support, over one hour with remote access (a person from the support accessed my computer) and yet there is no solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! Try a reset quit everything and restart

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried literally everything. Reset, restart, removing and reinstalling, downgrading, e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. And in the following link you can find other people with the same issue: https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/tilde-key-not-working/m-p/12979668#M323821

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that - I quit all apps and everything plus reboot and that did the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2022 Jul 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!  I am havign gthe same issue.  Was yours ever resolved?  I keep getting the runaround from support and it's driving me crazy.  It jsut started the other day

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Carolina! I found out (myself) it has to do with your keyboard layout. I live in Brazil and use Portuguese (Brazil ABNT2). When I changed it to English - United States (US), the tilde worked. But it does not solve my problem because I do have (and want) to use my keyboard with the ABNT2 layout.

Adobe hasn't given me any solution up to now. It is important to notice that this is the only key/function that does not work. It is clearly a bug but it looks like they just can't solve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there this didn't look like it worked for everyone but quitting all apps and reboot comp worked for me 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try holding the space bar and then the shift key together. I faced the same problem to but it seems to be working for me after this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If someone from ADOBE could answer this question that lots of us keep asking that would be worth the money we spend on this product. HOW DO YOU MOVE A PATTERN IN ILLUSTRATOR??!!!  IVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR OVER AN HOUR!!!!!!!!!  The tilde key DOES NOT WORK! I was able to move patterns a month ago, and now for some reason I can no longer move patterns. I hate this program and all Adobe products with every ounce of my being. You never update what needs updating, you just slap this stuff together and charge $$$$$$ and then never fix the errors. You move and change things that don't need changing, and make simple things like moving a pattern an absolute chore! My client is paying for wasted time now because I have to continue researching how to move a pattern. Outrageous!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can contact Customer Care and have them take a look into your system: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @KayBeeGee,

We understand that encountering technical issues can be frustrating. Would you mind trying to run Illustrator after rebooting your computer in Safe Mode (Windows / macOS) and checking if it helps?

If it works, it is possible that a third-party program is interfering with Illustrator and you might need to disable/remove it.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2023 Jul 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the UK. (Born here, lived here all my life.)

Not unreasonably I had Windows 10 set up to use English (United Kingdom) as the language on my laptop.

Only way I can get the tilde key to create multiple copies of a shape is to change my language to English (United States).

No big deal I guess but it seems odd that I'd need to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For German the key is not tilde at all, but < (at least on the Mac).

For other languages it's other keys. So it might pay out if you just try some keys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need more information to help

• OS Version
  • Language (if not english, switch your keybaord to English and try ~, if it works we know is a language issue and remap to tilde or find waht key modifier actually works)
  • Ilustrator version & language 
  • If setting text does ~ work

Rather than using S & R on patterns with ~ use

• hollow arrow tool with ~ to move
  • rotate, scale , shear  tool with ~ to do those transforms

this will reduce issues with non-US English keyboard/modifier key issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2023 Jul 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the suggestions provided? Please let us know if you still need help, or mark and answer that helped you so this post can be closed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2023 Jul 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried everything and it still does not work. Adobe doesn't care about it, that's the truth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which language do you have installed? Is it the same as your system and keyboard language? If not, then you migh be out of luck. Also: it might be a different key in your language that triggers this behaviour (multiple copies of a shape, right)?

Also: there are apps that intervene. They steal key presses. Several have been identified by people on this forum:

• WebRoot
  • Apple Terminal
  • Word, Excel, Powerpoint
  • Ā»Enable Full KeyboardĀ« in Settings > Accessibility > Keyboard on Mac OS
  • Apple Mail, Outlook
  • Spacebar is used as a shortcut by the system
  • Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari
  • Wacom Desktop Center, Wacom settings
  • Windows Touch Pad problem
  • LastPass, Bitwarden (password managers)
  • The VPN

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So how do people resolve the problems with the Wacom Center? I guess my `/~ might have stopped working after updating my Wacom driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Wouter28651033dqiu  schrieb:

So how do people resolve the problems with the Wacom Center? I guess my `/~ might have stopped working after updating my Wacom driver.

You might have to ask Wacom about this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope you will get your  tilde key problem solved.

As another approach to transform your pattern you might use the numeric fields in the Transform panel.

Make sure that in the Transform panel menu the Transform Pattern Only option is checked.

Use the Up and Down arrows on your keyboard to scale, move, rotate and shear the pattern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 26, 2023 Jul 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Patricia Haddad,

We're sorry to hear that the suggestions shared above did not help. It looks like we need to troubleshoot this on a live session. Please head here (https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen) and select the chat button in the lower-right corner of the page. We can help troubleshoot faster that way.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIXED keyboard layout was accidentally changed. Try holding down windows key and space. This will change it back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2023 Oct 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you so so much!! all fixed. I have tried everything else for days!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines