• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transparency disappears

Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2024 Apr 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there 🙂 I designed a layout in illustrator and added photos as transparent tif files. If I move them on the artboard, they all of a sudden have a white background, which is not in the tif file. The white background also appears when exporting the PDF higher than X-3 / compatibility 1.3. If I move the image outside of the artboard or copy it to another file, it looks just fine, transparent, no white background. Any clue why that is and how I can get rid of it?

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Franziska36455018f96p,

Thanks for reaching out. The PDF 1.3 compatibility level does not support transparency. Would you mind saving it with 1.4 compatibility or newer to check if it helps?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there! thanks for your speedy reply. I thought so too, but exporting it with 1.3 the PDF looks fine. Exporting it higher, and our printer requires a minimum 1.7 compatibility, makes the white boxes appear in the print PDF.
As for illustrator: There I am using the latest version too. Any clue how to get rid of it? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does that also happen with PSD files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens with the tif we used so far, but also with psd and png files, we tried all formats. Same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you use .ai or do you open the pdf in Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we use the die form ai file we got from the printer and added our design in there. the images are also added separately, as tif images. as written in another comment above, it happens with all image formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share an example .ai file? Dropbox, WeTransfer or attach here as PDF with AI editing enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure! attached an editable PDF. So curious if you can find out why that is! #fingerscrossed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I cannot find the reason for this problem.

There were some missing links but I could get them from the PDF part.

When saved as tif or psd they had the transparency.

I created a new file and copied the content (with Paste Remembers Layers checked in the Layers panel).

That looked good. I suppose the original file got somehow corrupted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morning Ton! thank you. I tried that and it works now too 🙂 Last question: Do you know if there is a way to copy all the layers, so you have all layers separately in the new file? If I copy the content together from various layers, it merges the content into one layer in the new file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Franziska, you can keep the layers if you turn on "Paste Remembers Layers" in the menu from the Layers panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome, thanks a lot! it really helped and saved the deadline today 🙂 🙂 🙂  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to hear that helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines