• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transparent to solid gradinet not working

New Here ,
Mar 17, 2019 Mar 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When overlaying a solid to transparent gradient, the fade turns muddy and doesn't blend correctly.
Same issue in CMYK or PMS (no difference)
Issue only arises on printing and overprint preview (appears fine on-screen)

Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 8.05.32 am.png

Overprint prieview

Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 8.06.02 am.png

Gradient opacity settings (overprint preview off)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 18, 2019 Mar 18, 2019

Gradients.pngw

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue only arises on printing and overprint preview (appears fine on-screen)

Can you please give us a lot more detail on that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue only appears once the file is printed or the overprint preview is selected in the view menu.
If you view it in normal (non-overprint preview / standard workspace mode) the gradient appears as it should.

Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 9.05.28 am.pngScreen Shot 2019-03-18 at 9.05.35 am.pngScreen Shot 2019-03-18 at 9.05.17 am.pngScreen Shot 2019-03-18 at 9.05.09 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try setting the Gradient object to Multiply mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would make the blue on top darker than the background (not the intended effect)

The background blue is the darkest part of the gradient  blue on top which fades to a 0% opacity of the same blue

This is designed to give the effect that the objects between fade into the background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the artwork in Illustrator, which has more robust gradient transparency, and place it into InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2019 Mar 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like a spot color gradient on top of a process color background.

Try either a spot gradient on a spot background or a process color gradient on a process color background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gradients.pngw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens frequently to files we get from clients. Almost always if we change the two ends of the gradient to the same color and then make one end transparent it eliminates the problem.

When we have black to white and then also process conversion to transparency, it has a hard time doing the math in the middle. Should it be a percentage of white, transparency, etc. If you're using spot colors just make sure you use the same one at both ends, then set the other end to transparency.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, Guys. I have this problem but in a slightly different context. This problem has haunted me forever. I have an object in Illustrator that has a gradation, and I have the same color at both ends; one end is at 100% and the other at 0%. I want it to be able to be put on top of a solid color—say, in InDesign—and show the background color through the transparent end just like a png file would.

If anyone can solve this problem for me, you will make a man very happy.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save the file as .ai and place that file should work in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone, I have an issue with a gradient effect on an object, hope someone can help me resolve this.

I created a half-circle in white, one end is 100% and the other end is 0% transparent.

But there seems to be an issue with the gradient at the borders of the object, especially around the 0% transparency.

The edges are shown in a weird way, who can help me to fix this? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Juliette,

that looks like a preview problem. Try switching to CPU Preview (Cmd or Ctrl E).

GPU Preview is fast but sometimes inaccurate.

It should not affect print or export, you can switch between GPU/CPU when you don't trust the preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2023 Sep 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi everyone. Just thought I would post this in case anyone else is experiencing something similar to this but not exactly.

I was working with two objects, one with a gradient fill at 100% opacity and another object with a gradient fill with 100% opacity at location 1 and 0% at location 2. And the result was that the program failed to render the background color behind the transparent part of the gradient and instead displayed all the other layers behind it (looks like that when previewed and when exported).

I fixed this by un-nesting the objects since they were in a group within a group within a group and I think Illustrator just gives up trying to calculate gradient transparency when there are so many groups.

So if you are having a similar issue, try similfying your layer structure so that there aren't as many groups and that may fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines