• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trapping an rasterize image

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I create a trap on a rasterize image in illustrator?  See attachment.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you can apply the trap effect to a raster image, but you could give it a mask, apply a stroke to the mask, then set the stroke to overprint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that but for some reason it doesn't line up with the image. 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show what you mean. And you could always just draw a rectangle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are doing this for print, I would check with your printer to see if it's necessary. Most modern RIPS will do trapping  and adding a manual one tends to complicate the process.

What's your intent?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For printing on press machine.  Here's an example of what someone else did, but I couldn't get in contact with the indiviual that did this manually.  See attachment

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For printing on press machine.  Here's an example of what someone else did, but I couldn't get in contact with the indiviual that did this manually.  See attachment

By @crossett -n20508817

Also if you have the AI file could you show the appearance panel for this object?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what the appearance panel and layer panel say about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I don't see a need to trap this situation at all, unless your background colour is meant to be output as a spot colour (e.g. a Pantone). In which case, the easiest thing to do is to make a copy of the clipping path around the picture and paste it in front (Cmd-F) and give it a .2 pt stroke of the purple and make that stroke overprint.

However, if this file is being printed in CMYK, since trapping is used to prevent "gaps" that would be caused by misregistration, if you think about it, when this graphic is printed in CMYK, there are no gaps. There's Cyan in both the background and picture, there's Magenta in both, there's Yellow in both. Even if this was wildly out of reigister, The only one that could even create a problem is the Black, but it's so light it would never show.

The trap I see in the sample from your contact almost appears to me to be a post-trapping PDF from an actual RIP (the RIPs I have worked on in the past had this ability) so I'm curious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't know why you need to, but make a box exactly the same size as the image and give it a center stroke of twice your desired trap, then click overprint stroke in the attributes panel...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines