• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble creating bridge in text

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am an extreme novice so bare with me. I'm attempting to prepare a logo for water jet/ plasma cutting and need the negative space in my text to have a bridge to the base material. I've watched a couple tutorials but can't seem to successfully accomplish anything. The attached pictures will show the use of the rectangle tool, followed by selecting the letter with the Pathfinder, and selecting "trim". I will get an error every time stating that I need to select intersecting paths. I thought it might be due to the text being in outline but when I try to fill the text, the negative space is filled as well (another issue?). I'm currently working on the file in DXF format but I tried in eps also. Is the art or initial file just corrupt? I'm assuming that I am just approaching incorrectly.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

20220727_111339.jpg

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that particular scenario, try Minus Front, not Trim. Trim removes overlaps from below filled shapes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

16589355365801278202100109749157.jpg

•  this is the result with "minus front"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a compound path (Ctrl+8) from the 'A' first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without changing anything the A worked and the O by using minus front. I'm now back to nothing working on any letter. I attempted "ctrl-8" on B but then the internal holes disappeared rather than the rectangle

16589379352001162335643328546344.jpg

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's difficult to advise further without seeing the file. Try shape builder tool (Shift+M). Select the objects you want to work on, hold alt and click on the areas you want to remove.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would gladly email it. I know it's a big ask, but if you feel like taking a peek it's greatly appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines