• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble with the pathfinder tool

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I am trying to subtract type from multiple colored shapes with the pathfinder tool. I have multiple shapes, all different colors.  I need the white type "DETROIT" cut out of these shapes so the background is visible through the letters. 

How do I cut the type out of these shapes without them turning into one color?Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 3.22.02 PM.png

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nic,

You can use a(n Opacity) Mask in the Transparency panel, where the DETROIT can be live Type/Grouped paths/Compound Path, with Clip unticked and Invert Mask ticked: just select everything except the background and apply the Mask.

Or what Hans-Jürgen is about to say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not necessary to use the Pathfinder tool, the Live Paint tool, or the Shape Builder tool.

Try a knockout group. Text can remain editable.

[ edited by pixxxelschubser ]

Or what Jacob just said.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the transparency pallete. set the opacity of the word to 0%. Group the word with the rainbow strips, then, with the group selected click the Knockout Group checkbox  (also in the transparency pallet).

Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 3.59.11 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 3.51.24 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would do what Jakob suggested, the result of an Opacity mask can be displayed by Browsers and non Adobe PDF viewers, but Knockout Groups will not be recognized by them. So it depends on where and how you want to use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Soon today will be yesterday, Ton.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, today was tomorrow yesterday and will be yesterday tomorrow, Jacob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines