Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to build a shape

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DEWCAlliancelogo_presentation-03.png

Hi, I'm trying to build this shape at the moment and am getting stuck. I originally just took a '<' symbol and made it into outlines but the shape was difficult to manipulate. Would I be better off building this from a rhombus and cutting it up?

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

This shape looks deceptively simple. From your description I assume that you don't want to draw it with the Pen tool.

This is another possible technique:

With the Line tool, hold down Shift and drag to draw a straight line. The line should have a stroke color and no fill color.

image.png

With the line selected, choose Object > Path > Add Anchor Points.

Again, choose Object > Path > Add Anchor Points.

That should give you 3 new anchor points.

image.png

With the white Direct Selection tool, drag over the 3 middle a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I would start with a rectangle and add two anchor points with the pent tool:

Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 7.46.01 PM.png

Then I woule use the direct select tool and move them:

Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 7.46.16 PM.png

 Then convert to a smooth anchor point:

Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 7.46.26 PM.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This shape looks deceptively simple. From your description I assume that you don't want to draw it with the Pen tool.

This is another possible technique:

With the Line tool, hold down Shift and drag to draw a straight line. The line should have a stroke color and no fill color.

image.png

With the line selected, choose Object > Path > Add Anchor Points.

Again, choose Object > Path > Add Anchor Points.

That should give you 3 new anchor points.

image.png

With the white Direct Selection tool, drag over the 3 middle anchor points to select them. When they are selected they will be filled in. The top and bottom anchor points should look empty.

image.png

You can use the Right Arrow key to move the points to the left.

image.png

I want the 3 anchor points to be closer, so selecting the sedond anchor point wtith the Direct Selection tool, use the down arrow key to move it down.

image.png

Select the fourth anchor point and move it up.

image.png

Select the middle anchor point and move it further to the left.

image.png

With the middle anchor point still selected, click the Convert Selected Anchor Point to Smooth icon. (If you don't see it in the Control bar, select Window > Control.)

image.png

To make the center more rounded, keep the center anchor point selected and double-click the Scale tool in the Tools panel.

image.png

Increase the Vertical percentage.

image.png

With the black Selection tool, click on the line to select the whole line.

image.png

Hold down Option or Alt + Shift to drag the line to the right and make a duplicate of it.

image.png

Select both lines with the black Selection tool. Choose Object > Blend > Blend Options, and select Specified Steps: 2. 

image.png

Then select Object > Blend > Make.

image.png

Select the blended shapes with the black Selection tool. Choose Object > Blend > Expand.

With the white Direct Selection tool, select the bottom anchor point on the leftmost line and the bottom anchor point on the rightmost line.

image.png

Choose Object > Path > Join.

Repeat by selecting the top anchor point on the leftmost line and the topmost anchor point on the rightmost line. Choose Ojbect > Path > Join.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Georgia,

You can also:

1) Start with a square and rotate it 45 degrees, then fit the left side to the rightmost part of the shape, disregarding the bend (sticking into the bend), then round the corner;

2) Delete the rightmost Anchor Point and have just the open basic shape;

3) Move copies to the left and create the closed path(s) needed to colouring, maybe of independent closed shapes, maybe with Live Paint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines