• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Type thickening in PDF

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I save my illustrator file as a PDF all the letter L characters, lower case thicken up.  I am using Myriad Pro open face type. My print previes shows this but it prints fine to a digital printer.  Need 2500 printed so cannot take a chance.

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What software are you using to view the PDF? Do they still look thicker if you zoom in?

In Acrobat, it can be affected by the setting 'Enhance Thin Lines' found in Preferences > Page Display

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am seeing this on the vendor site preview for printing, 4Over. The fonts
are perfect on my computer & digital prints.
(personal details removed by moderator)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd suggest you ask 4over in that case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usual cause: converting type to outlines. This is not a bug. Solution: do not convert type to outlines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Since you are viewing the proof on the vendor site, they are probably outlining the fonts as a normal part of their workflow. While this is considered an outdated practice, it should not affect the quality of your printed book. A possible exception is if a block of type is partly on top of an image and has transparency applied, some of the type could get outlined and some not, creating a slightly different appearance in the printed piece (a rare occurrance in outdated workflows). Can you download the proof? if the proof shows no live type in Acrobat (File> Properties> Fonts), then all type has been outlined and you should be fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines