• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to open ..eps files in Illustrator 2022 (26.0.1)

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently upgraded to MacOS Montery and the latest Illustrator release. Since the Montery upgrade I can no longer open .eps files, by either double clicking, right click and select Open, or even from the File menu. I can open .ai files with no problem. It doesnt matter if the file was created by me or not.

I haven't seen any other reports of this.  Thoughts? 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Apparently the files were corrupted. I cant find a way to delete this. Please close the topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently the files were corrupted. I cant find a way to delete this. Please close the topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2021 Dec 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting a -54 error code when attempting to open .eps files in Adobe Illustrator - message says file is locked or in use.  I am using MacOS Big Sur and this is the first time I am having such problems.  Please assist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2021 Dec 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also Monterey? Same Illustrator version?

Where is the file located?

Did you check if you actually have sufficient user privileges? Mac OS can be quite a pain in the rear with them.

File size is larger than 0?

Does the file open in Acrobat or Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm having the same problem - .eps files created in the last version of Ai (prior to recent update to 26.2.1) will not open. won't open in acrobat or PS.

i'm running OS 12.3.1 Monterey.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @damian_os,

Sorry to hear about that. Would you mind sharing a few details like:

• Does updating the Illustrator to v26.3.1 helps or not?
  • Where are your .eps files saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System/ External HDD)? Please move/ copy/ download the .eps file to Desktop or any local folder and check if it is opening or not.
  • What are the sizes of .eps files?
  • Are you getting any errors? If yes, please share the screenshot.

Also, would it be possible for you to share the download links to .eps files with us here or via DM if it has some confidential data?

We are here to help. We just need more information.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ai is updated to 26.3.1.

all files are local. sizes vary, none are particularly large. files are not corrupted since duplicating them solves the issue - after duplicating on desktop both files work fine, i can then delete the copy.
same issue applies to svg files. i get the following message:
Screenshot 2022-05-27 at 09.00.40.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for sharing the details, @damian_os.

This generally happens when you don't have read & write permission or full disk access. Also, it can happen when the file is stored on a server or a shared folder.

If it is stored on a server or shared folder or dropbox or Google drive folder then move it/ download it to your Mac locally.

If it is a permission issue, then provide full disk access to Illustrator, Acrobat, PS, or any other app in which you get this error. The steps are in this third-party article.

I hope it helps!

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines