• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unequal column widths in Illustrator

Contributor ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love the columns feature in Illustrator, but have run into a few scenarios in which I need more control over the column widths. I was trying to adjust the widths by clicking-and-dragging on the borders around the columns such as I do in MS Excel and Word, but no joy. I did the obligatory web searches with no success. Is there a way to do this that I haven't figured out for myself? Or does this not exist and needs to be a "feature request"?

Thanks,

- DK

TOPICS
Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Currently there is no straightforward way to do it in Illustrator.

You'd either have to use "helper objects" (invisible rectangles) and make text wraps (see Object menu) or you may use threaded text (see Type menu).

If your paragraphs are *very* well-organised you may also play with their indents, but that's rather a wobbly game.

Even InDesign does not provide what you are looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently there is no straightforward way to do it in Illustrator.

You'd either have to use "helper objects" (invisible rectangles) and make text wraps (see Object menu) or you may use threaded text (see Type menu).

If your paragraphs are *very* well-organised you may also play with their indents, but that's rather a wobbly game.

Even InDesign does not provide what you are looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Kurt. I played with the indents and got where I needed. Not overly surprised this was a reach for PS, but sure would have bet that ID had it. I don't use it, but seems like a not-so-outlandish need on occasion.

thanks,

- DK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of the columns feature draw 2 text containers, paste type in first one, click on the red + at bottom right to select overflow text. WIth loaded cursor click on the 2nd text container to flow into there. Use the direct select tool to nudge the size of text containers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's threaded text as already mentioned, Mike.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines