• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unite objects but keep different fills?

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have quite some experience with Illustrator, but today I ran into a problem I can't seem to solve. I'm not sure if my brain is really letting me down, or if this is something I just never had to do before.

I made a compass rose pointer (for a GUI I'm working on) with 2 different fills, and I want to round the corners. However, in the lower and upper corner where the shapes come together, the corners of both shapes become round seperately. So I need to unite the shapes, but keep te different fills. How can this be done? 😐

Pointer1.jpgPointer2.jpg

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

You cannot unite the shapes and keep different fills.

What you could do is start with a single shape, round the top and bottom corners.

Draw a vertical line from above the top to below the bottom in the center of the shape, select it and choose Object > Path > Divide Objects Below. 

Color the 2 resulting shapes and group them.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot unite the shapes and keep different fills.

What you could do is start with a single shape, round the top and bottom corners.

Draw a vertical line from above the top to below the bottom in the center of the shape, select it and choose Object > Path > Divide Objects Below. 

Color the 2 resulting shapes and group them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ton!! Of course, why haven't I thought of that myself! Good to know it can't be done the other way though, that's valuable knowledge as well. Thanks for your help, much appreciated! ^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that helped, Mark.

But with Illustrator there are often ways to accomplish what you thought could not be done.

I found a way to fill one shape with 2 gradients. It looks more complicated than the solution I described above, but why make it easy if it can be done difficult?

Create a shape and round the top and bottom corner.

In the Appearance panel, add 2 fills with different gradients.

Convert the fills to a rectangle using the Convert to Shape > Rectangle Effect.

Move the fills to the left and right using the Transform Effect.

Add a Pathfinder > Crop Effect and move it below the other items in the Appearance panel.

Screenshot 2022-10-07 at 14.09.13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize that the second method is not very useful, the resulting object cannot be rotated, scaled horizontally or vertically without re-transforming the gradients.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoa that's genius! I love making things complicated too haha! Simply for the purpose of finding new ways to do things and being awesome. 👌 Although this might not be the most useful method, I was not familiar with this option, and I really learned something new today! Thanks for taking the time to try things out, that is so kind! 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd just

select all

copy

paste in front

path finder > unite

select all

object > clipping mask > make

select the mask and then pull on the radius anchors as required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Or create 2 rectangles with the gradients, Cut.

Select the object, click the Draw inside icon and Paste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines