Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unknown Format Error in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2021 Dec 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've been running into the issue on Illustrator version 25.4.1 on 64 bit windows of Illustrator saying: unknown format, unable to open file.

When I try to open an exact duplicate of the file that I made to back up, it opens fine. So I'm really not sure why this could be happening, and why it's only on random files. This is causing me to not be able to work in Illustrator with any faith of it not corrupting my hours of work.

Anyone know a solution?

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are your files located and exactly how do you make the backup?

Which Windows is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

My files are on my desktop. I made a backup by doing Save As and just saving it as the same type of file with a different name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2021 Dec 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This process should work. And also the location should.

Do you have issues with files from other applications as well?

If saving on the desktop does not work, I would sheck my harddisk for issues.

You could also try and check if this is something with Illustrator's preferences. Rename the preferences folder and see if it helps.

Or create a new user on the computer, lunch into it and then try if Illustrator works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This only happens to random files on the desktop (only Illustrator) and not consistently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are 4 things you can try: turn off "Save/Export in Background" in the Illustrator preferences.

Check all your fonts for corruption

Set up a default printer (if you don't have one set up a PDF printer). Make sure this is still set after every Windows update

Make sure all linked images are linked from local drives (not networked)

And then of course: contact Customer Care about this https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

and/or: post to http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may also try updating to the most current version of Illustrator (even though it takes longer to load up for me).

Thank you for the suggestions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another strange thing I noticed about those files that wouldn't open, is when I would try to delete them it would say that they were currently Open in Illustrator (even though, of course, they weren't). But I had tried to open them.

They also were unable to be placed in any document in any program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try restarting your computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I've restarted a few times since then and still have the issue. It's only happened on a couple files so far randomly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The seeming randomness of it though is what scares me that it's going to happen again randomly on an important file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is exactly what I'm afraid of!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines