Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upgrade OS or not?

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have an older iMac that runs on OS 10.14.6 (Mojave) and I am not able to update my CC software (Ai, InD, PS) bc of that. I fear if I update the system, I wont be able to access all the work I have done in the older software versons. How do I reach a PERSON to help? Is the no HUMAN customer service? Or is that something of the past? (I really hope not).

Does anyone out there have a phone number to customer service?

Please help 😞

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't rely on customer service for advice. They are committed to getting you running the latest software, without much regard for the effect on your system, or what you prefer to run.  Why are you considering any upgrade at all? For sure, one day your Mac will die and you will need to, but if it were me I'd put off the evil day. In the worst case you won't be able to update to Big Sur, you get stuck on Catalina, your old apps won't work, the new apps won't run, and Adobe won't give you the apps in between. Dead in the water. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you decide to update your OS,  make at least a Time Machine backup just before you update, so you can revert to you current system in case you regret the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How old??

If your iMac is capable of Mojave, then you have a model newer than the Late 2011 model. That being said, anything between then and the Late 2013 model can be upgraded but only as far as one more OS to Catalina, which itself is getting long in the tooth. The Mid-2014 to Mid-2015 can go to Big Sur, and the late 2015's to Monterey.

Rest assured, your old files will be fine, but still, take the advice to make sure you have backups before you do anything. What you could do (if you intend to stay with this particular iMac) is buy an external SSD and install the newer OS on that and Migrate your current system over to it. Two benefits: 1) being an SSD, it wll run circles around your existing iMac's harddrive, and 2) you willl have your internal drive intact at Mojave in case something goes south. Alternatively, you can get Apple to swap out your internal for a new SSD (I wouldn't do this yourself as the iMac's are particularly fragile to crack open), and put your old drive into an external enclosure as your Mojave backup, which you can always boot to if some of your other software can't/doesn't run in newer OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines