• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Image Trace to reference an alpha channel to make a silhouette

Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ihave a PSD file that with transparency. The background has been cleany erased. How do I use Image Trace to reference that alpha channel and give me an outline of the silhouette?

I know there is a way to accomplish it in InDesign using Clipping Mask Options, then reference the alpha channel, and then convert the clipping mask to a frame.

But how can I accomplish this in Illustrator? I am using the Silhouette preset for Image trace, but where there are white areas in the source image, they get traced. I want to somehow specify all non-transparent areas are referenced as black. This happens even if I change the threshold amount to 100px.

Sometimes the whiteareas are inside the black areas (like as with a shiny face), but othertimes, the white area is outside the face (like a baby wearing a white hair bow).

Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 11.44.19 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-11-05 at 11.43.21 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those white areas you are asking about are sometimes hidden; actually they are not hidden. Those layers are grouped and you have to ungroup from edit navigation, simply. After that, I hope you will be able to see that area. 

If you still think, it will not goin to work. Please do lemme know!
Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 1.29.37 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-11-08 at 1.30.00 PM.pngSo I added a blue background so you can see how, even with the Threshold moved almost all the way up, part of the white box is still getting clipped out.

So I'm still wondering if it's possible for Illustrator to recognize an alpha channel is a plced PSD. 

InDesign has this ability, and I can use it as a clipping mask, then convert the clipping mask to a frame.

Does Illustrator have the ability to do recognize the alpha channel when using Image Trace?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone tell me if Image Trace is able to reference an Alpha Channel in a Photoshop image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are referring to tracing just the alpha channel and not the rest of the image: then no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you cannot use an alpha channel in a .psd in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2023 Aug 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

no, in illustrator you cannot. use both indesign and illutrator, and bridge to. or drag and drop the image from folder to the softwares. they has the same sizes. create clipping path in id then copy it in illustrator and center with the image

or you can do in photoshop by clipping the psd selection. then export it 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines