• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Variable font file issues saving.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2018 Jan 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi- with .ai 2018 whenever i save a file now it takes FOREVER. it gives me this message. " converting text objects with variable fonts and colored font converted to outlines" . I am just using the same fonts i always use and they are actually not converted to outlines after saving. Each save bring up the beach ball and message with a slow progress bar for a while. Please help, this is really slowing me down. thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Hello everyone,

I am writing to provide an update on the issue that you all have been experiencing with the "converting text objects with variable fonts and color" message error when saving files in Illustrator.

We highly recommend updating to the latest version of Illustrator (v27.3.1), as we have released this update in an effort to resolve the issue. If you continue to experience this error message after updating, please reach out to me directly so that we can help you find a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Variable fonts are not compatible with CC2017 or even older. So the fonts will be outlined and since your file looks quite complicated, that outlining might take a while. And maybe Illustrator even faces issues outlining at all because of memory problems or whatever.

When you do a save as to the current version, do you save with "PDF compatibility"? Do you need it? If not, try and turn it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto. Me Too. Exact same problemo. Completely up to date 091622 software. Mac. Makes me cra cra.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 18, 2022 Sep 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @keitht49589796,

We are sorry for the trouble. Would you mind confirming if this is happening while saving the file as an Illustrator Cloud document or on the Creative Cloud files folder? Also, does this happen while resaving the same file as "Save As"? If yes, then the issue should be replicable with the same file on our end as well. In that case, it would be really helpful for us if any one of you could package the file and then share a download link to the folder here or via DM with me for investigation. 

Also, would you mind confirming your system specifications and the exact version of the OS?

I will be looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem when saving a file in PDF format in Illustrator. Unchecking "Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities" got rid of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2018 Aug 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The explanation is nice but this needs to be fixed. Outlining takes forever and for no reason. My file doesn't use any variable or color fonts at all and I'm talking minutes here for saving one simple file. My files has literaly 3 lines of text (that are NOT using variable font) but it has quite big images linked in. There's no reason why "outlining might take a while" when there's nothing to outline.

Because I'm paying subscription I have the latest version of Ilustrator which I like. But I need to save to older version because of printer shop. This feature makes my productivity go down about 500% and that is not an exagaration.

Also, since I'm angry and I have to get it all out, that stupid progress bar in dialog box is horribly misaligned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2018 Aug 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schrieb

The explanation is nice but this needs to be fixed. Outlining takes forever and for no reason. My file doesn't use any variable or color fonts at all and I'm talking minutes here for saving one simple file. My files has literaly 3 lines of text (that are NOT using variable font) but it has quite big images linked in. There's no reason why "outlining might take a while" when there's nothing to outline.

Because I'm paying subscription I have the latest version of Ilustrator which I like. But I need to save to older version because of printer shop. This feature makes my productivity go down about 500% and that is not an exagaration.

Also, since I'm angry and I have to get it all out, that stupid progress bar in dialog box is horribly misaligned.

Do you use font management?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2018 Aug 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same issue and it seriously affects my productivity. Some of my text is in white, not black. Is that what is causing them to be "colored fonts"?

Cheers

Geoff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

geoffreyp37178285  schrieb

I also have the same issue and it seriously affects my productivity.

Please describe your system and version.

Do you use font management?

And please describe the exact issue step by step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use

1. Adobe Illustrator CC 2018 22.1, I always keep it up to date
  2. Macbook Pro, retina display, 16GB RAM
  3. MacOS 10.13.6

It now takes 20 minutes to save the file, and it is over 2GB. Therefore I save infrequently, which is more dangerous.

By comparison an "export for screens" JPEG is about 100MB. It would be nice to have a utility that told me what was taking so much time and space  – it could be the fonts (because it displays that disturbing message), or it could be something I am doing wrong with swatches (I suspect I am being inefficient with them).

I will conduct an experiment tonight - remove all text from the file and see if anything changes.

Cheers

Geoff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

geoffreyp37178285  schrieb

It now takes 20 minutes to save the file, and it is over 2GB. Therefore I save infrequently, which is more dangerous.

By comparison an "export for screens" JPEG is about 100MB.

What's in that file?

a 100 MB JPEG doesn't fall from the blue sky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry, but I do not understand what you mean by that expression.

Let me describe my file. This is a map for a historical board game. The bottom-most layer is an imported jpeg image, a scan of a historical map. The base map layer is never printed or exported. Above that are about 30 layers, the majority of which are lines, patterns, and simple polygons. I use swatches extensively. A small number of layers have a small amount of text. One of those text layers is below some transparent layers, but the majority of the text layers are not.

What is really weird is that the file opens in about 20 seconds, but takes 15+ minutes to save even though if I make no changes

I just ran some timings.

Saving as a CC illustrator file (*.ai) the progress bar reached the right hand-end after 7 minutes. It just finished after 16 minutes, although obviously the progress bar did not move move after 7 minutes. The only message the dialog displayed is "Saving Illustrator file" so I can't give you much information.

I then timed "Save as" for a PDF, with only "Embed Page Thumbnails" selected. Acrobat 6, because it is the default - I could easily change that. That took 63 seconds.

I deleted all the text layers and saved as an ai again (using a copy of my file). This tie it took 10 minutes for the progress bar to reach the end, and then the save actually ended at 19 minutes. So deleting the text has no real effect

I have not been able to reproduce the converting text to outlines event. Perhaps that was a one-off conversion, although when I look at my backups the file size has not changed significantly.  I'll try going to a backup copy of the file tomorrow night.

The "export for web" file was produced using that dialog by that name, and contains virtually every layer apart from the base map.

tl;dr

It would be very helpful if Adobe had a tool that showed me how much storage (and CPU time for storing) was being used by each layer or type of graphic element. That would enable me to work out why my file is slow to save – it is not the text. I used to write vector graphics editors for a living so I know that my file should not be that complex, I am doing something wrong according to the way AI wants me to work. But it does not give me enough information to work out what is wrong.

Cheers

Geoff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you save as AI, do you check "PDF compatible"? Please uncheck that option.

Please do also read the documentation: How to save artwork in Illustrator

You can't compare saving for web with Saving as an AI file.

And your file size has nothing to do with variable fonts. Your file is so huge because of the included JPEG (and it will probably be much smaller when you don't save "PDF compatible").

About saving files: How Illustrator saves files - YouTube

Please watch that video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your advice.

I have solved my saving problem by doing two things:

1. (Most important) Choosing "save As" and unselecting "PDF compatible"
  2. Replacing the embedded image by a linked image

It now saves in 20 seconds, down from 20 minutes 🙂

Cheers

Geoff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

uncheck the "Create PDF Compatible File" in the save dialog box

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran through all of the save as options - and can confirm for files - this does work. It doesn't make Illustrator faster, but it does save faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't make any difference here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I honestly think this is a question of Application Bloat.
There's nothing unusual in any of the files/system configuration/third party font management/workflows that have been mentioned. Practically all the problems I have with CC are down to spurious changes made by Adobe, added whistles and bell and blinking lights, unfathomable default choices and novelty "features" that get used once and are never bothered with again. All to justify the subscriptions. There is a train of thought that says "release it before it's 100% ready and fix it in the updates". Adobe seems to have taken that to heart. except they aren't exactly racing to get the bugs ironed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to add to this thread because I have a similare situation. I have 4 files that are almost identical. They are pharmaceutical cartons and the only difference is 30 count, 50 count, 10 count, 120 mL. All the fonts and the 1 image there is are all the same. 2 of the files get the "converting text objects with variable fonts and colored font" message and 2 do not. How is this possible??Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 12.24.32 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version are you using?

Are these older files?

Does it work when you use "Save as"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to create a new document and copy and paste everything into the new doc from the old doc. Then do a "save as" and that seems to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'Save as' doesn't make any difference here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue for me.

Since latest update I again have problems with moving objects and that green cross showing, and this one with fonts.

I have Illustrator 26.4.1 and OS Monterey 12.5.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Denis Lazetic,

We are sorry for the trouble. There is a known issue with magic Mouse on macOS with v26.4.1 while moving objects which will be resolved in the upcoming release.

For your font issue, would you mind confirming the font's name/ family? Also, is this happening in some specific files or with specific fonts? If yes, would you mind sharing the files or font with me via DM? We'll check at our end.

We are here to help. We just need more information.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am getting this annoying 'Converting text obects with variable fonts and colour' message too when I save anything.  Interesting (annoyingly) I don't even have ANY text/fonts in my files. I'm working in Illustrator with illustrations and scanned images, ie pattern making.  I'm on a brand new 14" MacBook Pro M1 with latest software loaded Monterey 26.5, and latest Illustrator.  Glad to see so many other people experiencing this issue so hoping Apple will fix ASAP.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @studio KLOROFORM, @Jack in the box Creative1, @defaultm1r297egodio, @Irishspacemonk, @Irishspacemonk

We are sorry for the trouble. Would you mind confirming if this is happening while saving the file as an Illustrator Cloud document as well? Also, does this happen while resaving the same file as "Save As"? If yes, then the issue should be replicable with the same file. In that case, it would be really helpful for us if any one of you could package the file and then share a download link to the folder here or via DM with me for investigation. 

I will be looking forward to your responses.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines