Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Vector and jpg printing as bitmap through Illustrator

New Here ,
May 31, 2020 May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMG_20200513_092803468(1).jpg  

Here's a odd one... I have a iMac 21.5" running on Catalina 10.15.5. (it was 10.15.4 when I started this) using the latest version of Illustrator. When I print from Illustrator the images print in Bitmap. I’ve gone into the print settings, turned off the Bitmap selection and yet the printer still prints everything in bitmap. The first printer is a Brother HL-L2395DW (prints using postscript driver), I spent 4 hours with Brother tech support trying to fix the issue, updating drivers, switching different drivers. We were able to get the text to print clean with using a different printer model driver, yet the images still print bitmap. I ended up sending them test files to see if they would print clean, they came up with when printing from a iMac running 10.15.4 was the same outcome I had. I then decided to try a different printer, so I bought a HP Laserjet Pro M404, and unfortunately having the same results. Returned the HP printer, and I'm trying to get the Brother printer to print correctly. All of the other applications print fine.

The tests I've done so far point to something within Illustrator. I took a AI file and printed it through Apple pages, Photoshop, Acrobat and Indesign, with all having the same results of the logo printing in bitmap. When uploading the same logo to the above applications, the logo prints fine.

I did a remote access with Apple support and they went over my iMac and couldn't find anything that would cause my files to print in bitmap.

I'm hoping someone may know of a fix or a cause as to why this is happening.

Thank you! Thomas

TOPICS
Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

"Print as bitmap" is deactivated.

Resolution doesn't seem to low, but your print size is very small. So you just have reached the limits of what is possible when printing.

If you want to be able tosee all the fine details in your logo, then lines would need to be thicker. Reduce the amount of detail and then you can reproduce it in small sizes.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not "printing as bitmap". This is a halftone image.

It's not 100K black.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, the image on the right is vector, and the image on the left is jpg. I'm printing from Illustrator. What's strange is that the file on the right was created in Illustrator, even the logo, yet only the text is printing clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's happening is halftoning.

Your problem is that image that you have marked as "vector", right?

It got halftone screened by the printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wouldn't the text also be affected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if your images have been created as vector art in Illustrator they must be saved as .ai or pdf (or even .eps—which isn't recommended) in order to retain their vector identity. If you have saved the images as png or jpg files they will become raster art and will be subject to pixelization—especially if used in a larger size than they were created as.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files I'm creating in Illustrator are being printed from Illustrator. All of the files are then saved as .ai files. The file on the right in the photo was created in Illustrator, even the logo, yet only the text is printing clear. The image on the left was saved from Photoshop as a jpg at 600dpi, and sized down in Illustrator by 75%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in terms of being certain, what do you see when you go into the Outline mode (Command-Y)? If you see blank rectangles where your logo should be then it has become raster. If you see the logo in outline then it is absolutely vector. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Below you can see the file in outline mode, along with the current test file I'm using.Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 12.52.58 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-02 at 12.52.33 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you see in your photo is halftone screening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, how do I go about fixing this? As stated in the original post, this was happening on two different printers. Is there a setting I'm missing in the print setup?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what purpose is this print? Just to check the layout and later it will be sent to a service bureu?

Is this just a black and white print of a job that is set up in color?

Or should this be black and white?

Is the document se tup as a CMYK document?

Or RGB?

Check the black. It needs to be 100K. The document needs to be a CMYK doc. And no color conversions made in the print dialog box. Also no color settings in the printer driver (check the documentation if your don't know where to find those - they vary from printer to printer).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are black and white product labels that I'm printing myself. The product description text is 100% black, the vector logo is 81% black in the darker area, and 20% in the lighter area. The text for the logo is 45%. The document is set in CMYK. I wanted to show you how I'm set up for printing, as I was taking screenshots of each step, I noticed something strange. If you look at Advanced, the "Print in Bitmap" isn't checked, yet when I looked at the Summary, it says the "Print in Bitmap" is on. When I switched back to the Advanced window, it still showed the Print in Bitmap isn't checked. So I'm thinking this may be the issue. Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the logo is set up in 81% black, then there you have the cause of your issue. This leads to the halftone screening. Set it to 100%

On your printer a bitmap will also be halftone screened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I set everything to 100% black, the 20% area I knocked out of the logo, so nothing printed there. Yet it still didn't print correctly. What's concerning me is the fact that I can't turn off the Print in Bitmap option. Do you know of a way to fix this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show a photo of the print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMG_20200603_161539370.jpgI'm trying to upload the photo now, yet it's not giving me the option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it a label printer?

Can you tell us the model? It looks like its resolution is kind of low.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a Brother HL-L2395DW (prints using postscript driver). Here's the print settings.Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 2.54.41 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-03 at 2.55.09 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-03 at 2.55.21 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-03 at 2.55.30 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-03 at 2.55.54 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-03 at 2.56.59 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Print as bitmap" is deactivated.

Resolution doesn't seem to low, but your print size is very small. So you just have reached the limits of what is possible when printing.

If you want to be able tosee all the fine details in your logo, then lines would need to be thicker. Reduce the amount of detail and then you can reproduce it in small sizes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, I printed the file at 1000% as a test, and it turned out fine. As I lowered the print %, it became more bitmap in appearance. So I guess there is limits to the print size. The labels are 1" x 2 5/8", which makes the logo a lot smaller. I'll need to figure out a better way to to this. I really can't change my logo, so maybe text only. One last question, the Print in Bitmap box I need to uncheck each time I go to print, not a big deal, yet in the summary, it says Print as Bitmap: On. Do you know of a way to fix this? 

Thank you for all of your help! Thomas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's how printer resolution works (as anexplanation to what you see, it can't be solved):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dots_per_inch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same problem with Illustrator.

Fonts which are 100% black print rasterized.  Same Text printed from Indesign is perfect.

After you disable uncheck print as bitmap and next go to summary the box is checked again . 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anything change if you use the PPD dropdown to select the correct PPD for your printer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It stays grayed out unless I print the file as a postscript.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines