• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Vector brush strokes created on ipad DO NOT save when opened in desktop!

Explorer ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I create some vector illustrations using a calligraphic brush on the iPad, then open that doc in .ai on desktop, they look just fine — that is until I click on one of them and the path defaults to a regular rounded brush stroke! WTH?? Same thing happens when I exit that file on the iPad, then go back in and touch any of the strokes. They revert to the rounded brush stroke. File attached.

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show the relevant options for the brush and tell us in which way you are editing it on the desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I honestly wish I could tell you exactly but I cannot remember all of the settings and even when I go back into the file and click on one of the lines, it defaults to round like you see in the pic. I know I created a new calligraphic brush with pressure dynamics clicked on and at about 5%. Then I may have changed the width profile in properties to get the pointed ends. I am trying to replicate it now but can't seem to get it the same. Ugh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried the workflow and couldn't find issues with it.

So it would be kind of important that you describe the steps in order for people to reproduce it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had just given up and done it in desktop so I could get the job done. I will go at it again and try to get that brush shape and let you know. I suppose I can't upload the actual file for you to check out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I just did it again. On iPad, new document, new calligraphic brush: roundness 68%, angle 16, size 28, pressure dynamics 10%. I drew a bunch of lines and a heart that looked like the image I uploaded originally. Exited the file. Opened it again on iPad, selected one of the lines with the selection tool and boom - it reverted to a rounded brush stroke. Here are screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't reproduce that. Had to use more pressure dynamic to make it work for me. But i can even move around anchor point without having the stroke reset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But are you exiting and going back in and trying to move the stroke? That's when it happens. Either going back in on iPad or opening on desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I closed the file and exited Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So bizarre! Here's a link to my test file. Can you see if it does it for you in this file?https://assets.adobe.com/id/urn:aaid:sc:US:9013e439-3e1b-45eb-a553-bc208774c421?view=difile

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. The file is interesting. I can select the paths, but as sonn as I move anchor points around, the brush does indeed change.

You might want to report a bug. The developers will be able to tell you if it's the document or Illustrator that needs a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Ok, at least I know I'm not crazy! It happens with any file I create using that type of custom brush. The only way to work around it is to expand it to a shape, but that defeats the purpose of having paths because it's insanely more difficult to edit as a shape. How do I report it as a bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can reach out to the team from within the app settings in "Info" -> Give Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for all your help, Monika!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm sorry it couldn't be solved. Hopefully the engineers have a hint for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines