• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Vector file is blurry on-screen and in print (via InDesign)

Contributor ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've looked at several similar posts from past years, but I haven't found a solution. I can't think of a time I've ever has this happen before...I'm stumped and under a deadline. Hopefully I'm just missing something obvious.

A logo drawn in Illustrator appears blurry on-screen. Saved graphic as ai, eps, pdf and all are blurry. (File placed in InDesign and PDF'd are blurry too. Graphics there are linked.)

When viewing as Outlines in Illustrator, the lines look like vectors lines. Opened a different, older file for comparison and it looks and prints fine. 

Tried the problem file in both AI 2022 (recently downloaded) and AI 2021 on Mac OS 12.2.1 (Monterey).

GPU on/off doesn't make a difference. (Says compatible GPU available.)

Overprint preview doesn't make a difference. 

Since the other .ai file is okay, seems is not just screen view/resolution problem.

Have saved problem file as ai, pdf, eps and all are blurry.

Screenshots attached are the problem graphic (green curved shape and text) and a previously created graphic (yellow and black with green leaves) on top.

The two images are:

Screenshot from Illustrator.

Screenshot of a PDF (via InDesign). This one looks worse.

TIA for any assistance!

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Have you verified the DPI settings and color profiles? It seems there is soem unwanted rasterization going on and the transparencies get clipped, which could point to such issues. Also check the appearance palette. Maybe you have soem inert style on there that causes mayhem on export....

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you verified the DPI settings and color profiles? It seems there is soem unwanted rasterization going on and the transparencies get clipped, which could point to such issues. Also check the appearance palette. Maybe you have soem inert style on there that causes mayhem on export....

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I thought, but didn't know how it could happen. You are 100% correct -- There is a layer labeled "Rasterize" in the appearance panel. Any idea why this layer would exist? (An internet search didn't come up with an answer, so hoping you might know.) It doesn't seem to do anything. I don't generally use the appearance panel, so is not something intentionally applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is an effect applied to the artwork.

Someone must have done it for some reason. When seeing the artwork we might be able to tell you why. If you are sure it's not needed, you can delete it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right...but I not sure how would have happened. I created the file. Accidental keyboard command? Now I know to look for this in the future, if ever happens again. Whew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No there is no shortcut applied to that effect. It can't happen accidentally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the AI file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines