Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Vector Smarts photoshop to illustrator cropmark issue

Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Recently when I am editing a vector smart from Photoshop, it opens in Illustrator. When i update the object it is applying registration/crop marks. Why is this happening all of a sudden and how can I change this? As it is also moving the placement of the artwork and not updating it true to size. It is posing a continual problem for me. Also it never used to happen so not sure if its an update or if i have a setting on somewhere that os incorrect?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Can you see the crops in Illy when you edit the placed file?

If so, try either to create a clipping mask to isolate just the area you want to update, or change the artboard size and only export the artboard...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to Illustrator​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2017 Jun 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you're editing a smart object?

Please describe step by step what's happening?

Also: has that smart object originally been created in Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2017 Jun 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

So since I've posted this I have been on the phone to adobe. Its happening in photoshop specifically from an INDESIGN copy and paste. Then when editing the smart vector from PHOTOSHOP, it opens in ILLUSTRATOR, I edit, then update the smart object and it updates with crop marks bottom left corner and the image cut off top right.

This is only an issue when copying from INDESIGN TO PHOTOSHOP AND BACK INTO ILLUSTRATOR. Not from Illustrator to Photoshop. Those files are fine

I have discovered that it is happening and I need to reset my preferences for ILLUSTRATOR, that worked when on the phone to adobe. It has since reoccured and I've not managed to resolve it again. i will have to get on a call with adobe again. See example below. I only added the circle to the image, look how it updatesScreen Shot 2017-06-09 at 12.26.17.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrew, has your issue been solved? Im experiencing the same thing all of the sudden. I would be interested in a way to prevent this error.

Greetings

Omar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was temporarily solved. But it happens again. Its got do with vector smarts from indesign and then they open in illustrator, seems to be the case whenever its brought in from indesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A work-around:

• Layer > Smart Objects > Export Contents

• open the ai in Illustrator and Save As a new pdf-compatible ai file

• back in Photoshop Layer > Smart Objects > Replace Contents

If the issue arises often one could probably automate this with a Script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks will try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you see the crops in Illy when you edit the placed file?

If so, try either to create a clipping mask to isolate just the area you want to update, or change the artboard size and only export the artboard...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines