• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Very Tiny Nudge?

Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2008 May 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having difficulties with a precision drawing because I don't know how to do the smallest of nudges. Yes, all snap-to's are turned off.

Thanks,

David

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set the cursor key distance in preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning on snaps helps with precision too, and may be you can try with activating smart guides on the view menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Turning on snaps helps with precision too...

Except when it doesn't, which is often. Illustrator's Smart Guides could be a great feature. Currently it's an OK half-feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 30, 2008 May 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find Illustrator's snaps unreliable, unless zoomed in to 100% or more. Never had that problem in FreeHand.

Further, David is correct in turning snaps off. He's trying to achieve a minimal nudge. Snaps interfere with that. As Scott said, the nudge value is the Keyboard Increment setting in Preferences>General.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 16, 2010 Sep 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How long have I been struggling with nudging a tiny amount until I discovered your answer!!!  It so totally makes sense!

Anyway, is there a keyboard shortcut that you can double the amount of increments?  So if I set the increments to .5pt, but temporarily want to nudge at a faster rate, say 1pt, is there a keyboard shortcut for that, or am I asking too much, now? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shift-nudge will give you 10x the basic increment.

Nothing for 2x to my knowledge... sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good enough!  Thanks!

Just as long as I can move faster than .5pt!  LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can hold down the shift key to nudge 10x the increment. i'm not aware of other increments. in indesign you can also nudge 1/10 the set increment.

oops. beaten to the punch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always set my to .25pt. Works wonderfully here when I need to nudge slightly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FreeHand was ahead of it time

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2008 May 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to all. How did I miss that? Maybe because of the death of literacy--Adobe calls it nudge in one place and uses different terminology elsewhere. Listen up, Adobe: that's "nudge increment" or "nudge distance," not "keyboard increment."

Thanks again,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 17, 2010 Sep 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone,

In this situation I used "Action" Feature (Main Menu: Window+Action)

First, create a new "Action" Script and name it "Nudge .0001" (so you know every time you select this "Action" the object will move .0001 to the right), Start the recording, then select any object, then select "move" feature (Main Menu: Object+Transform+Move) When the "Move" window appears, enter the amount for the object to move (In this sample will enter: .0001) in this case in the horizontal option. Click Ok and Stop the recording on "Action" window.

Now every time you select any object and select the "Action" called "Nudge .0001" and hit "Play", the object will move .0001 to the right. (with the "snap-to" On or OFF)

In this way you can set a series of "Action" Scripts with different increments you may want to use.

I hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 09, 2008 Jun 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed that type objects (specially point type) don´t seem to snap accurately to guides in CS2. You have to zoom in to correct inaccurate snaps. This never used to be a problem. Any ideas anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

In Illustrator, hold Cmd/Ctrl + K > General > Keyboard Increment change it to 0.2 now do the tiny nudge.

Hope this helps! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines