• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wavy edge to rectangle

Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I change only one side of a rectangle to be wavy with no stroke? I want 3 straight sides with a .5 stroke and one wavy side with no stroke. I want the fill to extend throughout the entire shape, including into the waves.

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Teresa,

You can:

1) Remove the fill, then click the corners at the end of the side in question with the Scissors Tool;

Now you have a line and an open rectangle;

2) Select everything and copy in front, then click the (top) line and press delete, then click the (top) open rectangle and Hide it in the expanded Layer in the Layers panel;

Now you have the original set to work with;

3) Click the line and apply ZigZag with an odd number of ridges per segment, then Object>Expand Appearance;

4) Select everything, then click the open rectangle once more, then in the Align panel apply the relevant left/right/top/bottom Align, then hold Ctrl/Cmd and press J;

Now you ought to have a rectangle with one wavy side;

5) Switch from Stroke to Fill;

6) Show the open rectangle from 2), then select everything and hold Ctrl/Cmd and press G;

Now you ought to have the desired appearence.

Edit: Missing crucial step included in 3), sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for answering.

When I select CTRL J-- all 4 sides become wavy.

I'm a VERY newbie. I'm not able to follow the Layers instructions or the part about copying in front and then deleting. (Which is counterintuitive to me because it seems to be deleting what I just copied.)\

I can get a wavy line and an open rectangle but I can't figure out how to join them and make the wavy line the new boundary for the fill. I dragged the file below. I copied my rectangle and separated the 2 parts that I keep getting so you can see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Teresa,

I am sorry, I forgot a crucial part in step 3), please see the amended version above.

Without it the whole rectangle becomes wavy exactly as you found, defying the whole purpose of splitting it.

No newbieness on your part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines